No announcement yet.

HF Utility Trailer For My "T" GS750TZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's taken several months but I finally got my trailer unfolded, assembled and out from the garage. This was a clearance/level test; tongue resting on the ball with 4 inch drop.

Now, to start working on my bike...geeze, let's wait another 7 months (speaking to myself).

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-26-2017, 05:49 AM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I use eye bolts and thick fender washers to fasten the decking to my 4X8. One on each corner and one at the middle. Holds the deck on and double as tie downs. Used it yesterday to move a bike.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 11-23-2017, 10:48 AM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you cut the platform board into two half's you can still fold up the trailer for easier storage. The easier part is debatable though since it takes considerable muscle to stand up and fold the trailer. I've got mine stored that way, tied to a tree so it doesn't topple in the wind.

Regarding the trailer in general, it works well but bounces like heck when unloaded. I've often considered finding a large water container that could be used to weight the thing down for unladen trips. Where the water could be dumped before loading a bike to bring home or similar. Water is like gold in my neck of the woods though so nixed that idea for that reason.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Collapsible Trailer

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          If you cut the platform board into two half's you can still fold up the trailer for easier storage. The easier part is debatable though since it takes considerable muscle to stand up and fold the trailer. I've got mine stored that way, tied to a tree so it doesn't topple in the wind.

Regarding the trailer in general, it works well but bounces like heck when unloaded. I've often considered finding a large water container that could be used to weight the thing down for unladen trips. Where the water could be dumped before loading a bike to bring home or similar. Water is like gold in my neck of the woods though so nixed that idea for that reason.
          I like the fold-ability of this trailer. Since space is a premium in my garage and the tongue comes within inches of the ceiling, it gives me room to park both our cars in the garage and still have room for my "T". Man, my garage does not look like that anymore...it's cleaner!

It's a pain to lug the 4X8 into the shed where my other "T" is parked on center stand but I manage it.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Sorry, but confused by your statements. To be clear, you can fold the trailer with the plywood attached, you just need to cut the 4x8 in half. Wouldn't that be easier? Oh, and the towing bars fold back too so they don't have to brush up against your ceiling.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Bolt On!

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              I use eye bolts and thick fender washers to fasten the decking to my 4X8. One on each corner and one at the middle. Holds the deck on and double as tie downs. Used it yesterday to move a bike.

That'll work!

I painted my 4X8 with some grit material in the paint. I used bolts (don't remember what size) and washer to hold the wood piece in place...3 in the front and 2 in the back. I also keep the plywood in my shed so the elements don't erode it.

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

On the lowering bit, doesn't putting the axle on top of the spring cause it to hit the frame rail on a big bump?
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Clearance

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                  On the lowering bit, doesn't putting the axle on top of the spring cause it to hit the frame rail on a big bump?
                  I just took this pic to verify clearance. There's at least 2-3 inches and I doubt the frame will bounce that much on that spring. Thanks for asking!

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Sorry, but confused by your statements. To be clear, you can fold the trailer with the plywood attached, you just need to cut the 4x8 in half. Wouldn't that be easier? Oh, and the towing bars fold back too so they don't have to brush up against your ceiling.
                    Sorry...didn't read your response right away. I'm sure I could saw the 4X8 piece in half like you suggested, I just haven't done so. That would add additional weight to an already heavy foldable trailer. Not sure about the towing bars folding back? Since there is 1-2 inches of clearance, I won't be folding the towing bars.

Ed
                    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-27-2017, 05:54 AM.
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                    X