77 gs750 jet size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 gs750 jet size

Got a 77 gs750 that I can't find a decent air box for. When I got it it had some crappy pods w/ stock jets. Looking at going with a decent set of pods w/ stock exhaust. Anyone have any recommendations on the jets sizes/needle settings for this set-up?

Production date on the steering stem? Which pilot jets did you find in them? 22.5's or 27.5's? Where are you located and what altitude range do you plan to ride in?

Comment

The reason he is asking is because there were somewhat major differences in jetting with the first couple years of the 750.

It would be nice to know which ones you are starting with before making any recommendations for changing them.

As a 'rule of thumb', however, using decent pods (APE or K&N), you might add 4-6 sizes to your mains. Your pilot jets should not need to be changed, but add about 1/4 turn to the pilot fuel screw (the one on the bottom of the carb) and about 1/2 turn to the pilot air screw (the one on the side of the carb). Those are assuming that the screws are in their stock positions. If you are starting from 'scratch', the fuel screws might be in the range of 1 to 1 1/4 turns, the air screws would be double that.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll let you know the date of manufacture/pilot jets when I get back to the house. I'm in Charlotte, NC which is around 750ft above sea level.

Comment

I'm not sure of the production date as the sticker has been removed. The pilot jet is a 15 and the carbs are marked as "45040"

Comment

What main jets are currently in it? 100's or 105's?

Comment

95's but they don't have the mikuni stamp so they must have been changed at some point

Comment

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll add my settings might help you out

1977 gs750
                  ape podfilters
                  4-1 free flowing open baffle exhaust
                  main jet 117.5
                  pilot jet 15 (standard)
                  needle 1 notch up from full rich
                  fuel screws 1 full turn out from lightly seated
                  air screws 2.25 out
                  sea level

Comment

Thank you. I was thinking of going with a 115 main to start out with

Comment

Originally posted by Dphillips030 View Post
                      Thank you. I was thinking of going with a 115 main to start out with
                      Great starting point. It might very well end up being near ideal.

Comment

Working...
                      X