Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS 1000 engine in GSXR 1100 first gen frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    1st q: The graphics should hide the headlights, make it like a period race bike maybe duplicate a period bike you like without all the sponsor stickers.
    You may have to use a black stripe/band to hide the headlights.
    Don't even think about painting frog eyes around them, puke! Egyptian eyes? too weird but maybe you like weird.
    2nd q: The lower lip is kinda high, but don't worry about it. The windscreen height is just right for the period of endurance racing and damn good for strong headwinds.
    You are right! The eyes type graphic is not very tastefull...
    Maybe painting the left side red and the other side white along a middle vertical line would pull the attention away from the headlights.
    The fairing has definitely the 80's profile: quite high, probably designed for Daytona.
    It's supposed to be a Yoshimura design?
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Any updates on this fine project?
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Any updates on this fine project?
        Yes, it's been a long time but as I moved houses I didn't have a place to work on the bike.
        The good news is that I lowered the fairing by about 5 cm while still keeping the clip-ons above the top triple.
        It was difficult as there are no less than 7 bolts to keep the flimsy fairing in place.
        I also had the bike licensed ( as a GSXR 1100...) so that I will be able to test it thoroughly.
        Next I need to install the Koso rev/speedo counter for which I ordered the appropriate connector from Joe at cycleterminal.com
        Here's what it looks like today:

Last edited by John Kat; 10-30-2016, 02:08 PM.
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

For some reason that 8V engine looks real svelte sitting in that frame. Bike looks like it weighs 300 lbs.

Comment

Yep she's lookin' good John! I like how it's coming together.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              For some reason that 8V engine looks real svelte sitting in that frame. Bike looks like it weighs 300 lbs.
              I agree.
              Don't know if it is the fairing partially obscuring the engine but it almost looks like a twin. Nice work, John
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Today was the first official ride.
                Beautifull sunny afternoon to make things easier.
                Given the geometry of the bike, the ride was as expected: a very stable platform due to the long wheelbase and the induced trail coming from the 18" front wheel.
                The suspension is on the firm side especially compared to our GS 1000's but this ensures absolutely no weaving in the fast corners while the high speed compression damping will remind you of your age as soon as you hit some sharp bumps!
                Strangely, the bike felt more comfortable than I thought it would.
                On par I would say with my wife's Triumph Street Triple R except for the reach to the clip-ons that's kind of similar to an 1100 Kat.
                I'm glad I kept these above the top triple!
                On the to do list I need to fix the rear brake, get some turn signals on so as the rear view mirrors just in case the cops get behind me...
                The carburation if of course off with the new exhaust.
                Might be a good idea to get the OEM GSXR air filter in place instead of the pods?
                Next will be the paint for which I've made no decision so far.

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Lovely job there John. A credit to you.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

WEll Done ,you are the first to do this ...credit to you

Comment

A short update: the turn signals and the Koso odo/speedo are now operational and a family shot before winter.

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

John they look beautiful, love the job you did on all of them.

when winter comes, do you get snow?
                        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Yes, they look OK on the pictures but they are not at the level of some of the bikes I've seen on this site...
                          The biggest issue in my view is to find the proper subcontractors for the tasks you are not good at.
                          Living in an agricultural area doesn't help.
                          In the South West of France where I live, we don't get much snow and the temperatures are maybe slightly higher than what you get if I believe what I see here:

Must be a nice place to visit for sure!
                          sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Nice work.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Apparently this extension to Google Chrome allows you to still see the pictures hosted on Photobucket.
                              I can see mine at least!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg
                              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Doesn't work for me...
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X