Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750 carbs are killin me

Hello,

Im brand new to this forum, and motorcycles in general. I just bought a 78 gs750, she ran pretty well, but what do i know. So i was trying to learn about the carbs and like an idiot, i pulled them and proceeded to"learn" by taking them apart and cleaning them. Now i have them back in and she wont start. I have no idea what i did wrong. Thank you in advance

didja follow the tutorial at all?
    are the plugs dry?
    any kick at all when you crank?

Comment

What Jeeprusty is trying to say is go to http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff and read up on the carb rebuilding tutorial. Make sure you follow those instructions about putting them back together.

Also, what kind of condition is the electrical system in? What are the readings when you turn the ignition switch on and while you are pushing the start button? Is the Run/Kill switch in the run position? Did you bench sync the carbs before you put them back in? How many turns out are the idle mixture screws?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I havent used the manual because i didn't think i would change anything, i was obviously incorrect. I looked at the manual from the link, there is a picture of the float bowls and 4 screws, in a caption next to it said to not disturbing these screws, or something to that affect. Well i did mess with screws, is there a certain number of rotations that has to be screwed in/out?

Comment

did you Prime the carbs before trying to start the bike?

Turn those 4 screws in gently, then turn out about 5/8 of a turn

You're learning the wrong way. Read 1st, practice 2nd
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by liftedresarch View Post
            Hello,

Im brand new to this forum, and motorcycles in general. I just bought a 78 gs750, she ran pretty well, but what do i know. So i was trying to learn about the carbs and like an idiot, i pulled them and proceeded to"learn" by taking them apart and cleaning them. Now i have them back in and she wont start. I have no idea what i did wrong. Thank you in advance
            Well we have no idea either, we can't very well help if we have no idea what you did, see where I'm going. Love to help but when you just tear a rack apart and put it back together without a manual or any knowledge of how a rack goes back together, well that just spells trouble. I hope you at least understand the function of a carb. Once I learned how they worked it made better sense on how they function and in what way they should be put back together. Follow a guide and put it back together correctly. We can be more helpful and be able to trouble shoot allot better if your putting the carbs back together correctly.

I will state that if something isn't broken don't fix it especially don't blindly fix it.

Your better off reading the guide and starting from scratch...

Good luck, unless you can give us more info we really can't give you that golden answer of; your bike doesn't run because...

Welcome to the site... Good luck.

Where is your location? we have member's all over the place that might be able to help out.

Oh some Carb 101, I know your bike doesn't have a diaphragm but you'll get an idea.
            Last edited by Jedz123; 01-27-2015, 01:15 PM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Neat video and should clarify things for some.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thank you all for the quick responses, so all i did was remove the carbs, unscrew the bowls, take off the floats, unscrew and spray all jets, and unscrewed what i believe is the gas screw for the pilot circuit, and thats about it. i also messed with the idle screw a bit, but i feel like a bit of an impulsive idiot

Comment

Slow down and dont get fklustered.

Here are the links that youll need for the bike and carbs. You have VM26 carbs,

IF you break a pilot screw....http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ew_removal.pdf

Jetting chart...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...eight.html#A01

Pilot Screw ( bottom ones ) if you find a broken tip..http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-deta...roduct_id=4245

Fuel tee and crossovers in case you have the junk plastic or rubber coated type, get the metal oring style..

Carb bowl and top gaskets..

And finally, the carb oring kit from our own member here Robert Barr. Note that the intake manifolds ( carb holders ) have an oring in them that needs replaced also. Measure the INSIDE diameter of yours and order them accordingly from page 3. ONE KIT will do all 4 carbs and fuel tubes..of course get the VM kit.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Nice work on chuck's part. Tons of great info to get you started.

Owning a 40 year old motorcycle is (I'm told) a lot like a wooden boat. There is always some maintenance tasks to perform. Cleaning the carbs is just the beginning. If you are kicking yourself for tampering with the bike you best just sell it now and let someone that isn't so timid perform the upkeep. You have tons more to do like perform a valve adjustment, clean the braking system, check the charging system, etc. Unless you have lots of money to pay a mechanic, you bet get mentally ready for more work ahead.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 01-28-2015, 10:39 AM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Welcome to the forum and........where you at?
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Dammm Chuck. Some of those links I've never seen before. If I has seen that carb matrix it could have saved me a lot of trouble over the last few years.
                        That chart should be a sticky at the top of this forum. The current sticky on collecting carb specs is a little difficult to sort through.

Thanks for the post.
                        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The chart is posted in Bikecliffs website. On the home page there are links on the left side. the CARB SPECS thing is the one to select,

Head over to Bikecliffs and check out the many links just below the manuals menu board.
                          Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-28-2015, 06:56 PM.
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've been all over Bikecliff's site in the past few years and somehow missed that link. Glad you posted it. It's now in my favorites listing. Still think it should be a sticky on this site as it provides a quick reference to the answer to questions I see posted all the time.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Lots of good stuff on the page...

Comment

Working...
                              X