New GS owner from Wyoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS owner from Wyoming

I purchased my GS1100 from a guy that parked it for 3 years after it snapped 3 brand new clutch cables.
    I was intrigued by the craigslist ad when i saw pictures of a slightly modded, but clean.
    He was asking $800, but i managed to talk him down to $400 through text message and i made the 3hr drive to see it.
    The clutch cable was rock solid, tank was empty, hooked up a battery tender and everything worked and the engine cranked over. The GS had been stored in a heated work shop and i popped the tank lid to see a clean rust/grime free tank.
    Here is how the bike was as i got it:

After Removing some of the non-essentials and removing lighting that is going to be replaced with more flush mount units:

Hope you all enjoy my project and i may start a build thread in the future to show the changes made.

Wyoming Huh?

Welcome!

You got a nice deal for a liter bike! I've had to fix a busted clutch cable...bought an aftermarket one and it's been great but I would recommend OEM.

Enjoy the site; lots of helpful members here.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome!
      Enjoy that beast! I've never been on an 1100. I had an 1150 and my 750 was an 1100 after the 7-11... Not the same though.
      Got a heck of a deal. Tis the season to find them!
      Be sure you give her a good once over. You'd hate to have it leave you stranded on an account of neglect.
      Enjoy!
      -Jedz
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        Welcome!

You got a nice deal for a liter bike! I've had to fix a busted clutch cable...bought an aftermarket one and it's been great but I would recommend OEM.

Enjoy the site; lots of helpful members here.

Ed
        Thanks for the kind words GSXR7ED, i haven't been able to do much. Since i do not have a garage and the bike has been frozen into my storage unit for about 2 months. I believe the clutch back plate has failed on this bike, it is one of the many things that will be getting gone over with a fine tooth comb.
        The bike is getting torn down to a bare frame, all non-essentials removed, certain parts replaced, '99 GSXR rear swinger assembly and possibly the front fork assembly grafted on and reassembled after paint.
        So, it will probably be mid summer before this bike hits the pavement. In the meantime, i just bought a fairly clean '85 GS550E to ride in the meantime. I will post pics of it at a later date, it is strapped down in the back of my suburban right now.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2015, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          Welcome!
          Enjoy that beast! I've never been on an 1100. I had an 1150 and my 750 was an 1100 after the 7-11... Not the same though.
          Got a heck of a deal. Tis the season to find them!
          Be sure you give her a good once over. You'd hate to have it leave you stranded on an account of neglect.
          Enjoy!
          -Jedz
          Thanks Jedz123, it is hard to believe that the engine is roughly the same size and only .5L smaller displacement than a Honda civic 1.6L car engine.
          This bike is going to be built to fit me(i am under 6ft tall) and the way i want it. So, there isn't going to be an untouched inch of this bike. I am also trying to source a second seat, so that i can mold it into a single seater and keep my double up seat for when the fiance wants to ride along so i can quick swap it out.
          I can't lie, i really like the way the bike feels now. Just want the stability of having my feet planted(i know noob thing, just a preference).

Comment

Wow - welcome and great find!

Dig it, nice work getting it for $400!!! Rarely see these bikes around our neck of the woods, I check Craigslist and KSL all the time, but I have so many projects right now, I've had to stop looking .
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Well i hope these 2 teaser shots get you interested in the second gs i purchased.

Attached Files

Comment

Well it's not an L. Maybe an ES or M. I really don't know what later 550's look like. Check the head stock for a sticker. Looks nice though.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I somehow missed you're intro, so a late welcome. Good luck on your project (s). I did check out your bike recently in the albums section here.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Looks like an ES - not too fond of the bright green, but that bikini style fairing is pretty cool.
                    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I admit the green is way too much, but for $600 i couldn't pass it up.

The bike came with a work load sheet from an at home mechanic. I am not to sure of his reputation, so i do not know how far to trust his work. The work sheet he sent with the bike states that the second and third cylinders are low on compression.

I feel he should stop working on bikes and stick to detailing them. The bike is cleaned in areas that no one would normally clean.
                      I inspected his findings lightly, i can't fire the bike with it in the back of the suburban with the exhaust off.
                      The intake looks a bit worn on visual examination, there is loose bolts throughout the intake and there was a loose bolt and missing exhaust bolt on the worst reported cylinder.
                      So, once the bike is unloaded I will see what i find. There is a small oil leak that i haven't gotten a chance to trace yet. Other than that, everything is is in good shape and even has fairly new tires on it.

Comment

Interesting - what are plans with it? Fix/flip, rebuild/ride? More pics when you get a chance would be nice - yeah that green is way over the top!

Comment

Well miker, i plan to ride it while my 1100 goes on a weight loss program and gets rebuilt from the ground up, '99 GSXR rolling gear and repainted. The 1100 is going to be my baby when it is done and i need an interim bike to run.

The 550 will need a little TLC, but very little. Worse case scenario, i need to replace compression rings. Best case scenario, freshen up the carbs, track down a cheap set of mufflers to install(PO hacked the exhaust off 3 inches past the crossover pipe) and register it.

I had to remove the front wheel and the exhaust in order to be able to stand the bike up and strap it down. The rear tail light is literally 4 inches from the ceiling.

Comment

There is about 3 inches of ice left built up in front of the storage shed. I am so close to getting the 1100 project started.

Comment

If any one has some idea's on cheap mufflers i could use on the 550, let me know.
                              I obviously need 2 and the cheaper the better. If anyone has a couple bandit cans in decent shape.
                              The bike looks funky as is and i think the funky bandit cans would wrap up the look nicely.
                              I live in a quiet neighborhood and my work is in a quiet neighborhood. I would really prefer not to be "that" guy until i fly past them.

Comment

Working...
                              X