• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From this..

to this...

The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

That looks fantastic Cyrano. That seat came out amazing.

Comment

Didn't think I would, but I really love the seat. Paint looks great, too.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Nice job! The piping on the seat really improves the look.

Comment

Thanks you so much for the kind comments, nice to think I got something right. As I've said it's not finished, but it's done. Next week I'll drop off the main stand for powder coating and then a few more bits now and them.

I've replaced the slightly bent handlebars with a set from a Triumph T160V US spec and they feel quite good. I'm a big Triumph fan so it's nice to have a bit of them on my bike.

I still have to trim the cover where the lock sits. The guy who did the cover wanted me to take the bike over to him to see it in the metal. He was quite please with the way it turned out too.

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
            Didn't think I would, but I really love the seat. Paint looks great, too.
            There is one on ebay USA if you're that keen. The paint is stunning but I can't show it properly in photos.

Originally posted by trtsmb View Post
            Nice job! The piping on the seat really improves the look.
            If you've got it, flaunt it!

Thanks again.

Comment

Wow Cyrano, nice job on the bike. I had no idea how the seat would work, but you know, it does. Good work. Glad you go your hands on that 850L.

Comment

Awesome job. I have been slowly pecking away at my 1000L as I ride it as well

Comment

I've been out and about on it and really enjoying the bike now that it is roadworthy.

But I'm still making improvements here and there over time.

Painted the points cover...

Got the main stand powder coated...

Before...

After...

Just love the paint job...

Comment

Hey man it looks great and I share your dicodamy. I ride mine everywhere, every chance I get. I have had to let go the thought of it being perfect and yet I don't want it to look like I was lazy and apathetic. But the truth is I did not do a full tear down and so it won't be the quality I would like. But I want to ride it.

I want to give you props. Sick of hearing disparaging remarks. You are choosing the hard route, taking a derelict and putting that bad boy back where it belongs, on the street bringing you joy. Looks killer man! Let er eat!

Comment

You sir are doing one fantastic job. I only wish I was half as talented.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

That's come together quite well. The seat will come into its own when the OL doesn't fall off the back
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hi Guys,

things are put on hold for a couple of months while I'm out of the country enjoying sunnier climes.

I've taken off the tank and panels, cleaned them a give them a good waxing before storing them in the attic. (My lad will still be using the garage and I'm paranoid about them getting damaged).

I've removed the rear engine mounts and the battery box and will drop them into my powder coat guy before I depart.

I'm glad I decided on the restoration route I chose because I've really got a buzz out of riding around these past few months and I'm going to miss it over the next few weeks. Going to miss you guys too as there is no internet access.

I'm taking a new camera with me so be prepared for lots of boring holiday snaps when I get back.

See you in October and be careful out there.

Comment

Been back for a week or so now and I really missed my bike while I was away.

Collected and fitted the battery box and engine brackets.

Then it wouldn't even turn over. It took me a few minutes to realise that the powder coating has insulated the battery box, so I fitted an extra earth for the rectifier. Problem sorted.

Only...

Once it was running there was petrol running out of carb #3. Carbs were removed (such an easy job on this bike, really) and the float bowls cleaned out and given a blast of carb cleaner and air. Problem solved.

Took it out for a run on Saturday on some very quiet country lanes and it went well but the front mudguard is rattling a lot. Think I'll drill out the rivets and fit some small nuts and bolts.

Comment

It's about time I did an update although there isn't that much to comment on as I've been riding it (and lovin' it) rather than restoring it but here goes.

Got these done a while ago and then fitted soon after. Sidestand and engine brackets.

And this week was the turn of the front footpeg holders and the torque arm.

When you look at the bike you wouldn't see any difference but I know they're there.

Next step will be the Swing arm as I will need to remove the back wheel as soon as I can fund a new back tyre.
                              Hopefully I can get it all finished before the first bits need doing again.

Thanks for all the kind comments in the past, much appreciated.

Comment

I've been very quiet over the winter and not been out much, but I did manage to find a chrome grab rail (acutally came from the same place I got the bike).

I've got to tidy it up a bit on the lugs but first I've got to free off the left hand shock which is stuck onto the top mount. So far I've been giving it a soaking with penetrating oil.

Also got a replacement sump (oil pan) as I noticed the drain plug threads on the current one were starting to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X