Hi new forum member here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi new forum member here.

Hi my name is Van I`m English but now live in France.
    I have 6 bikes in the stable.
    I own a 1989 GS850g which I bought new.In 1995 I sold it to a good friend of mine on condition that he gave me first option to buy it,if he ever decided to sell it on.
    He kept it 17 years in a heated joiners shop and only covered 3000 miles in that time.When he offered it back to me in late 2012 I snatched his hand off.
    I`ve serviced the bike from new,even when my friend Tony owned it.The mileage is now 36669.
    Its bog standard except I have fitted different handlebars to give a little more lift.
    A part from tyres and batteries and one set of rear pads nothing has been done to the bike.Its still on its original front pads.
    I`ll upload a couple of pics later.
    You can tell by my signature I`m a steady rider.Better to travel than arrive.

Welcome to the site, Van.
    A 1989? GS850.
    Great to hear about a bike getting back in the hands of the original owner. Even better when you know the maintenance history.
    What other bikes are in the stable? Feel free to post pics of them all.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome to the site....

Comment

Welcome Van! Nice to have you aboard.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome to the GS site Van!
          1982 GS1100E
          1975 CB750 Honda
          1974 CT-90 Honda
          1966 Yamaha 250 Big Bear scrambler
          2007 FXSTD Softail Deuce
          2009 FLHX Street Glide
          2017 FLHX Street Glide

Comment

6-Pack of Bikes

Originally posted by fm12 View Post
            Hi my name is Van I`m English but now live in France. I have 6 bikes in the stable. I own a 1989 GS850g which I bought new. In 1995 I sold it to a good friend of mine on condition that he gave me first option to buy it,if he ever decided to sell it on. He kept it 17 years in a heated joiners shop and only covered 3000 miles in that time.When he offered it back to me in late 2012 I snatched his hand off. I`ve serviced the bike from new,even when my friend Tony owned it.The mileage is now 36669. Its bog standard except I have fitted different handlebars to give a little more lift. A part from tyres and batteries and one set of rear pads nothing has been done to the bike.Its still on its original front pads. I`ll upload a couple of pics later. You can tell by my signature I`m a steady rider.Better to travel than arrive.
            Welcome!

So where abouts in England are you from? Anywhere near East Anglia? I lived in Braintree, Bury St Edmunds, and Newmarket while assigned to RAF Wethersfield & RAF Mildenhall from '89-'93. It took me a while to get comfortable driving on the wrong side of the road.

So where are you in France? Been there too...while living in Germany (Ramstein AB). I did a temporary duty to Paris...love that city!

Looking forward to pics of your bikes. I had to do a Master Cylinder/Caliper rebuild and installed a braided line with new pads...I can't imagine a bike with the same brake pads since it was purchased new--must have been seriously taken care of!

Enjoy your way around here.

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-10-2015, 10:04 PM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to the site, and we won't hold it against you that you live in France.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hi Van and welcome,

I live in England but have a place near Montmorillon, that makes us neighbours.
                The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Hi thanks for the welcome.
                  Apologies If I screw up with the quotes but I`ve still to find my way round the site and anyway I`m a bit of a ludite when it comes to computers.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Welcome to the site, Van.
                    A 1989? GS850.
                    Great to hear about a bike getting back in the hands of the original owner. Even better when you know the maintenance history.
                    What other bikes are in the stable? Feel free to post pics of them all.
                    Hi Steve
                    Bought the bike in Nov 88 but because of work and the weather did not register it until 14th Feb 89.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                      Welcome!

So where abouts in England are you from? Anywhere near East Anglia? I lived in Braintree, Bury St Edmunds, and Newmarket while assigned to RAF Wethersfield & RAF Mildenhall from '89-'93. It took me a while to get comfortable driving on the wrong side of the road.

So where are you in France? Been there too...while living in Germany (Ramstein AB). I did a temporary duty to Paris...love that city!

Looking forward to pics of your bikes. I had to do a Master Cylinder/Caliper rebuild and installed a braided line with new pads...I can't imagine a bike with the same brake pads since it was purchased new--must have been seriously taken care of!

Enjoy your way around here.

Ed
                      Originally from Leeds,West Yorkshire. But moved to France when I retired in 2012.
                      Worked out of Felixstows Docks for six years and did consider moving to Suffolk at one time.
                      Paris might suit some but when you are driving a artic (semi truck) its no fun.
                      Yes I`m a steady rider,my Yam xjr1300sp on 28000 miles is still on its original front pads.

Cheers Van

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
                        Hi Van and welcome,

I live in England but have a place near Montmorillon, that makes us neighbours.
                        Very near neighbours I`m in Le Dorat.

Comment

Very near neighbours I`m in Le Dorat.
                          That's just down the road from our place. We stayed in that very nice guest house opposite the Promenade on Verdun Ave when we were looking to buy. Had a couple of nice lunches at La Commerce too.

If the wife's health improves we'll be over in the summer.
                          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Replies With Quotes

Originally from Leeds,West Yorkshire. But moved to France when I retired in 2012.
                            Worked out of Felixstows Docks for six years and did consider moving to Suffolk at one time.
                            Paris might suit some but when you are driving a artic (semi truck) its no fun.
                            Yes I`m a steady rider,my Yam xjr1300sp on 28000 miles is still on its original front pads.

Cheers Van
                            Leeds aye!

I never made it in that direction. The closest I got was a trip to Wales with my wife after our wedding. (If that's even close to Leeds)

Paris, on the other hand, was a business trip and I took a train to get there. The office I visited had one Agent and a Support person and they had their own vehicle...that was interesting to say the least...you have to know the routes in Paris because the open spaces seem like fun at the bumper cars! I would imagine a truck driver wouldn't like it!

That's great you have maintained a bike for so long and never abused the brakes. (well, maybe a fraction of of the time)

If you want to do multiple quotes, click the "quotation mark" with the plus sign over the replies you want to respond to. When you see the last reply you want to reply to, click "reply with quote" and it will add all the replies with a "QUOTE=fm12;1234567" and "QUOTE/".

Just add text in between the replies and click "Go Advance" button to preview your reply and give it a "Title" name if you like. I called this one "Replies With Quotes". Give it a go!

Seeya around and don't forget to post pics.

Ed
                            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 02-11-2015, 09:59 PM.
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

OK heres a try at a upload,the bike though clean needs a good detailed polish.Excuse the mess on the floor trying to protect the new floor paint.039_opt.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X