No announcement yet.

I didn't see you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the damage is minor and won't cost that much you might just want to approach the guy to pay out of pocket. Better for him as there is no insurance claim and better for you because it's just easier. The insurance company will not pay you whatever it costs to fix the bike. They'll pay you no more than what they figure it's worth and probably deduct a large percentage for cash payout. Might be worth a try.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

The first thing i usually do when i buy a different bike is buy loud dual horns. Sounds just like a big Lincoln bearing down on you. Saved my life once. Lady pulled out in front of me while I was coming around a curve, laid on those horns and she hit those breaks asap. Gave me the room to get between her and the ditch!!!
      Excellent advice which I strongly agree with.

Loud horns can make a great difference and they don't have to be expensive. Fiamm make high and low tone "Highway Blaster" horns that run about $20 each. Our equivalent of Harbour Freight carries them up here perhaps you can get them there. I swear by them and they go on all my NTM bikes (new to me).

Like the others say, however, your life is in your hands so be pro active and get out of the way. Don't put yourself in dangerous positions. It is also a good rule to keep your head on a swivel as you ride (danger can come from every direction)and get paranoid i.e. believe they are out to get you...because they are.

Glad you came out of it ok.

Comment

Hi Jason,
        You go out to try and improve your skills and what happened? I just have a few comments if I may.
        There is a deep perception problem in our threat assessment. We often hear they didn't see us. In reality they did but the brain overrode the signal and dismissed you as a bug. I have had people with whom I had direct eye contact pull out in front of me at distances of less than 50 feet.
        As Nessism says don't wrench the thing or try to be a boy scout and downplay the damage. You have no way of making a proper assessment. Tubes need to be checked for straightness, fork clamps for cracks, headbearing for impact etc etc. Slight damage on a case can be a lot more than you thought.
        Sitting still in stationary traffic is asking for it. They tend not to teach this on courses. Eventually you get hit from behind or in your case from the front. A high proportion of all car collisions are low speed rear enders and between them is not the place to be.
        I hope this doesn't come over as preachy. Some things just are the way they are.

I need to make another post fast !
        Last edited by Brendan W; 02-20-2015, 12:38 PM.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          The insurance will reimburse you the full amount of the repair.
          Actually they have the choice of repair or total. If the damage assessment is greater then about 80% of the estimated value they may opt to total. Just make sure that any estimates you get take into account of that.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            I need to make another post fast !
            666, number of the beast! That was close!
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Always sad to hear of this type of incident. Good that you were not badly hurt and the bike is not wrecked. Stay safe out there.

Regards,

Jerry BB.

Comment

Your statement of "It's his neighbourhood and he feels safe" reminded me of a quick trip with the wife. We left our driveway in the car and 30 yards from home I quizzed her about not looking as she rounded the tee junction. Her reply, " "I never look that way because theres no traffic, (a very quiet street)"
                Well she got a 10 minute refresher course on basic driving skills, and I know for a fact two bike owners live up that "quiet" street. It's a lesson that was drilled into me at school, look left, look right, look left again, and has saved me from idiot drivers many a time.
                And the comment about the driver looking at me and still driving into the path of a motorbike, has happened to me a few times. It beggars the question of, are these people actually trying to kill me intentionally or are they brain dead. Some people drive still thinking about wether they left the iron on, or in "automatic mode", double this danger with phones, texting, doing their makeup or eating breakfast, and it's a tragedy waiting to happen.
                That's my rant!

Comment

Man its almost too dangerous to ride it seems! I almost get hit nearly daily, the worst being I had a green arrow at a major intersection. A lady blew through it in the oncoming lane. I laid on the horn and the throttle and her reaction was to lock up the brakes (thank goodness) and cover her face with her hands!(why!??!). I flipped her off and yelled something obscene and left. Im usually not an angry or mean person, but I feel like I have to be to bad drivers so they can "remember that time the angry biker yelled at them for doing something stupid".

Comment

Working...
                  X