air compressor expansion tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air compressor expansion tank?

so since the pump is shot so far as i can tell on my cheap hf 21 gallon air compressor, i'm going to just get a new one since a new pump is just as much as the hf compressor is, if not more. so i was thinking of turning it into an expansion tank for more air capacity. anyone think this is doable without cutting into the tank and using the existing fittings that are welded on to it? i got the idea from lowes when i saw their kobalt expandable system they had a few years ago. would i have to run hard lines, or could i use hoses to epand the capacity?

Yes do able.I use two tanks connected to a common manifold,that is fed by a rotary screw compressor.I also run it thru a separate chiller and moisture removal filter set up.Before it goes out to the plant for various machines.Works great. RS

Comment

You might also like to consider putting a valve between tanks so that you don't need to pump both up if you only need a small amount of air.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I'll be doing the exact same thing when my 21G cheapo HF compressor kicks it too. I like the idea of a valve as well tatu.

60ratrod, curious what fittings and lines you'll end up using. Maybe post some pics if you don't mind.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I return tomorrow so look for results this week. For my replacement compressor, oiled or oil free pump?

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
            I return tomorrow so look for results this week. For my replacement compressor, oiled or oil free pump?
            I would never buy an oil less compressor,they just don't last.Your HF was oil less I'll bet.

Comment

I say oil, my 21G and my 8G HF cheapos are both oil types and use the same motor interestingly enough. Had the 22 for about 6 years and it runs a lot. Got the smaller one as a refurb at Christmas time as an ITC (inside track club) member price of 60$. Figure I could swap the motor over to my 21 if it goes out but it's been nice to have the small one to wheel around since its so much more portable.

Look forward to your "build"
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Actually, it's the same 21 gallon compressor that many here either have or have had. It gave me about 4 yearsof service, not all consecutive daily use. it had the oiled motor on it. It first started by tripping the onboard breaker when cold, requiring me to either use my heat gun on it or pull the cold start valve to get the motor warmed up without tripping the breaker. Once running, the compressor would stop building pressure past 20-30psi, and the pump would stop talking in air, as evidencedby the lack of suction at the air filter, both installed and removed. And the inability to find the piston and associated parts made me think about finding another pump. But seeing the prices on pumps is making me go buy another compressor since the compressor can be had for under $200, and it's going to be another better brand if i can help it. So this one is going to be relegated to being a capacity expansion tank. I'm thinking of using a hose to connect the two.

Comment

When I ran air around my shop I didn't have the dough to run proper hard lines. So, I ran air hose around, using clamps that wouldn't dig into the hose, and barbed fittings. I still haven't replaced all of it and it's been over 10 years. I sure as hell wouldn't worry about a little hose between tanks.

Comment

I'm leaning hard towards using hose so if i want to rearrange the garage it will be easier to move

Comment

so the update is i ended up getting a bosch 26 gallon oilless pump compressor. i figure, with the under $400 that i have into this soon to be 47 gallon setup, if the pump goes on this one, i can justify the extra cost of a new pump for both.

Comment

Just buy some ear plugs too. You'll find out the oilless compressors are quite noisey. Too loud for me. However if you are using them to paint all, you have to worry about is removing water.

I would use a good 3/8" to 1/2" double braid hose to connect the 2 tanks. The vibration of the (LOUD) single cylinder would probably fatigue a hard connection and cause it to fail.

Comment

that's the plan for now, use a hose with quick disconnects to connect the two tanks. that way, if i need to move them around, they will be a lot easier. and like i said in my last post, if the pump burns out on this one, then i won't mind the cost of a better pump, probably a two stage 220vac-240vac motor and figure out a more permanent installation and have the motor mounted somewhere not on the tanks and hard line plumb the tanks together. more to follow potentially this weekend. saturday i am helping out an E-3 from the training squadron buy a motorcycle. he has his brc scheduled and i will be riding the motorcycle to his house so he doesn't get in trouble with the law or the navy.

Comment

Put the compressor on the other side of a wall and pipe the air in. Then you can hear yourself think.

Comment

Working...
                            X