Rotor Paint for 1982 GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor Paint for 1982 GS1100

So, I need to paint the center of my rotors as they've seen better days and was wondering if anyone has had success with this and what kind of paint was used. I know i have to mask the crap out of them, i just want to know what paint is the best and if anyone has any examples that would really help.

I like PJ1 fast black engine and case paint (gloss black). This paint is chemical resistant 500 degree paint. Very high quality paint for paint from a rattle can. As with any painting project preparation of the part is as important as using a quality paint product. First remove all the old paint with any good quality paint remover which will probably take several applications of the paint remover. When you have all the old paint removed then clean the surface with carb cleaner, dry the caliper, mask and paint using several light coats of the PJ1. You will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I just use what ever my favorite enamel is when I do them.

Used Plasi-Kote satin on the 85 750 rotors and it's holding up fine.

Not sure whether I used the Plasi-Kote or if I changed to VHT caliper satin for the 78 1000's rotors.Think it might be VHT though,I REALLY like it!

Here are the rotors on the wheels.

Comment

That's a massive help, thank you so much for that...the paint I'm using from my frame is a different texture, and this enamal satin you suggested will be perfect. Ultimately I would like to use the same paint for my calipers, will the paint you used work on them as well? Thanks again...

Comment

Originally posted by Higgibaby View Post
          That's a massive help, thank you so much for that...the paint I'm using from my frame is a different texture, and this enamal satin you suggested will be perfect. Ultimately I would like to use the same paint for my calipers, will the paint you used work on them as well? Thanks again...
          Then use the VHT Satin Black caliper paint. You do have to bake it in the oven to fully cure it. It's evidently not very chemically resistance until you do but after I tested it by trying to scratch it and exposing it to brake fluid and it seems pretty bullet proof. I used the Aluminum paint on my cylinder head and it's standing up great. I'll be using the Satin Black for calipers and a few other parts in the future.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I've painted calipers,master cylinders and whatever else I want a black satin finish on with the VHT.It needs a bake to cure it you say SandyMaybe,just maybe I should read instructions better.I like to bake most things anyway but I have used it on stuff I can't bake,it still seems OK.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              I've painted calipers,master cylinders and whatever else I want a black satin finish on with the VHT.It needs a bake to cure it you say SandyMaybe,just maybe I should read instructions better.I like to bake most things anyway but I have used it on stuff I can't bake,it still seems OK.
              I've never tried it without baking it. I think AZR said something about the paint blistering or something when he used it and didn't bake it. Had me worried so after I baked it I try spilling different things on it including brake fluid in all was good.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

As Jstwart has, I used PJ1 fast black (already had it lying around) but mine was a satin finish. Had it on there for years and looks great still.

Comment

Working...
                X