Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motor spins up great on starter but slows to a stop

Hi Guys

I have just got back to the project (GS1000E), sat for maybe 4 mounths in the garage. New battery fully charged, engine spins up great on the starter for maybe 5 to 10 seconds then slows right down to a stop (engine has not fired up). Turn everything off for 10 seconds and it does the same again. The wires coming off the battery are not hot, just warm and no more. Any help much appreciated. Some info that may help. The bike was starting and running OK 4 mouths ago but did sit for 17 years in a shed before that, oil is new, clutch is new and not binding, valves clearance is all good, carbs are cleaned and set up. One thing though, when the throttle is closed the engine is slow to spin, open it and it spins fast before it slows to a stop.....

cheers RB

I am a bit confused about this statement:
    Originally posted by greenbraes View Post
    ..., engine spins up great on the starter for maybe 5 to 10 seconds then slows right down to a stop (engine has not fired up).
    If the engine has not fired up, how can it "spin up great on the starter"?

Are you saying that the battery does not last very long?

If you have a standard wet-cell battery that has not been maintained for the last four months, it is likely somewhat discharged.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was thinking the starter over-heating and seizing but it doesn't sound like it is spinning long enough for that to happen.
      Plus it would take longer than 10 seconds to cool off.
      Are you positive the battery is fully charged?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

the battery is brand new and been on charge with the 'charged' light on the charger for a few hours....when I say the engine is spinning up I am meaning the starter motor is turning the engine over pre running..it turns over/cranks fast to start with...I have not managed to 'start' the engine yet..it has not pulled enough fuel through to the carbs

I have got the old battery on charge...it is pretty much duff but at least it will give me an idea if it is the new battery

cheers

RB
        Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2015, 09:30 AM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Ten seconds ain't long enough to overheat starter motor, but its brushes/springs could be tired and back off commutator as they get toasty.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

charged both new and old batteries up, engine turned over a few times and stopped, all I get now is a clicking from what I think is the starter solenoid. I pulled the plugs an the still no movement in the engine from the starter, put it in gear and the engine turn OK from turning the back wheel. both the old and new battery are not turning the engin over...going to take the starter off and have a look at it....anything you guys can tell me what to look for?

cheers..yet again

RB

Comment

Yep, sounds like worn brushes or a dirty armature on the starter motor. The manual will give you minimum brush length - you can go a little shorter but not much in my experience.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Check the voltage at the battery when cranking and check it at the starter motor. Should be very close. If not then you have a dirty connection. You might want to clean the thick ground wire connection at the back of the motor as well. Could be a bad starter motor but could also be a bad starter solenoid or dirty connection.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

thanks forthe info guys..I have ordered a new solenoid and a set of brushes..will get the starter out in the morning and get it cleaned up and looked at

cheers

RB

Comment

I wouldn't have ordered any parts till the problem was diagnosed. Don't you have access to a volt meter?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I do yes, the brushes cost £6 (this is including P&P) and regulator has been given to me for nothing (old stock getting cleared out)...I'm sure some new brushes won't hurt....I'm away from home for a few days now so thought it would be good to have some bits available for me when I get home

RB

Comment

well got home today...took the starter cover off and found it was the wrong cover for the starter motor, the terminal had been shorting out a bit on the cover...the indent for it was not in right place...sorted this out and still no go..so out came the motor and found it from an early GS1100 (1980)..not the GS1000..hence the cover was wrong..anyway stripped the motor down found it full of gunky goo..cleaned it all up..found one brush just about done, replaced brush and motor back in and engine now cranks like a new one...well happy...hampshirehog you hit the nail on the head..

cheers for the help guys

RB

Comment

Thanks for reporting back and glad you got it sorted.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                          X