Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you determine submodel?

I recently purchased an '85 GS550.
    I have been trying to figure out the sub-model and i get as far as the year make and model.

How do you guys know whether or not using my bike as an example whether it is a:
    550EF
    550ES3
    550ESE
    550ESF
    550ESG
    or
    550L

If you guys could help me out with this, i would greatly appreciate it.
    I believe it would also be helpful to other current and future members.

There should be a sticker on the head stock which label it a 550 l, e, ect. A picture would help.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

An 85 GS550 would be a model year F.An E would be a sports model with a fork mounted 1/4 fairing,the ES would have a frame mounted 1/2 fairing and an EF would have a full fairing.The L would be a cruiser with a small tank,pullback bars and stepped seat.There used to be a model decoder in the homepage info section but with the recent changes it's gone for now
      Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2015, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Frank is still working on the section of the site that has the information you are looking for. However, one way to rule out the L is its severely stepped seat. Additionally, the bars are pulled back further and the forks will have a leading axle.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If it helps, i have pictures posted here:
          Use this forum to tell everyone the details about the GS that you own and a little about yourself as well.

It is the green bike still in the back of my suburban, the weather here just got good enough to pull it out. I just need to get a couple people to help unload it. I hope in the interim, the couple teaser pics help.

Comment

LOL I looked at the first pics and went WTH that's an 1100. Fortunately I scrolled down to find the 85 550E pics,there's your question answered

Comment

LOL SVSooke,
              Yeah now you can see why i specified the green bike.
              Thank you for the "E" indication, so now i just need to find the remaining letters. Partially for the purpose of knowing and partially for the local suzuki dealer. They seem convinced that i need to know the specific lettering to trace parts that are free formed to almost all E models from what i can tell by the online parts blowups.
              I am just ensuring that they have common seals and filters on hand closer than the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by edgeofvamp View Post
                Thank you for the "E" indication, so now i just need to find the remaining letters. Partially for the purpose of knowing and partially for the local suzuki dealer.
                Any dealership (stealership) that knows anything about Suzukis will know that the '85 models were "F", so the complete designation for your bike would be ... GS550EF.

If your stealership does not know that, you KNOW you don't want to have them work on your bike. Chances are that they won't work on it anyway, because it's too old.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, i never let others touch my things. I just like to know i have parts on hand in a pinch locally-instead of 3+ days away on the internet.
                  I prefer to do my own work, that way i can take pride in the work and have the comfort of knowing exactly what was done.

Comment

Please let us know where this dealer is that has these parts IN STOCK.

We have our favorite OEM vendors online, but parts take an average of two weeks. First, the dealer has to gather enough orders to meet their minimum order with the Suzuki warehouse. Then, they place their order and it takes several days to get there. Finally, they re-package your parts and they take several days to get to you.

NOBODY has them in stock.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X