First GS owner, 83 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First GS owner, 83 GS850G

Hi guys! I just bought an 83 GS850G from an older gentlemen, sat in his shed for 10 years at least, and sat before that for a few years, he only road it a handful of times before just storing it away. This bike is so clean, I was amazed. The carbs are a little stuck up, the throttle doesnt snap back and sticks, I'll be pulling the carbs this weekend. It has 9500 miles and I bought it for $1000, I thought that was a deal, compression checked out about 130psi on each cylinder. The only issue I have right now that have to be sorted is, since he had it on the center stand the rear tire is in really good shape, original btw! but the front is badly dryrotted, I used a pickup to haul it and as I pulled the straps down I could see metal from the tire, and the forks are really spongey. But I cant wait to get it running!

Here's some pics:
    Attached Files

CAM00161.jpg

Only 1 pic per post?

Comment

Looks real nice. Even in that condition, you still need to do all the required maintenance. In addition to those carbs, you should completely rebuild the calipers, master cylinders, new brake lines, new tires, clean your electrical connections, etc. Yes, it will need all that to be a safe and reliable ride.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Crapola that's a score!! saw your other thread on the forks and replied. Some simple basic maintenance and you're going to have yourself a workhorse of a bike there, conrats and welcome to the site.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

That is a nice bike. Boy did you get a good deal.

Greetings
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Welcome from a fellow NJ member. I posted the CL ad for the bike here recently. Cool that it ended up here. Good luck and enjoy
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Wow! What a good deal. Check out Basscliff,s website for pictorials and info on a number of subjects. He used to come around with his mega welcome, but I haven't seen that for a while. Welcome to the gang at GSR though and we will be there to assist in getting your bike in top shape.

Comment

WIN ! Well done - that is a great find - add another $1500 in deferred maintenance and you ahve a nearly new 30 years old motorcycle (like me)
                Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

JP,

Nice stock condition.

Yes, you will have some work to do, but will have a great stock condition, great example of a GS850G.

New tires would be in order, even if tread looks good. Tire that old may not have much traction.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Welcome from a fellow NJ member. I posted the CL ad for the bike here recently. Cool that it ended up here. Good luck and enjoy
                    lol, really? that is pretty cool. These carbs were in horrible condition inside. It sat for a long time with fuel it looks like, I cleaned it up as good as I could, couple new jets because some needed force to get out. I didn't get a chance to install them tonight, hopefully tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                      WIN ! Well done - that is a great find - add another $1500 in deferred maintenance and you ahve a nearly new 30 years old motorcycle (like me)
                      ehh, im thinkking my total for parts would total around $300, it doesnt need much work

Comment

she runs! and damn well! i'm so surprised how well it runs for how long it had sat. to get it going, I had to put a bit of fuel on the carbs, after that the bike ran but was revving because of the idle, after I got the idle squared the bike was very responsive with throttle response and I was beyond happy, what an amazing bike. I got some seafoam in the tank and it's in the process of being ran in the carbs because I seen some smoke. Hoping it cleans up the bowls etc more then I could've. If I have any issues, I'll just yank the carbs again and get them ultra'd. I just did a clean of all the essentials to get it running and try to push everything else out, seems it's working.

I still have to get the forks fixed, but I'm slowly getting there. Can't WAIT to ride this bike

I did some cleaning, polished up the pipes a little along with some of the side cases etc.

Comment

That sounds like a real steal!

Your TOP priority, though, should be to buy new tires...for BOTH wheels, and do that before you consider riding it around town or anywhere else.

Tires that old will hold air, and even though they were garaged for all that time and may look to be in good condition, appearances lie.

After ten plus years every tire will be considerably harder than when new and will not give the traction you expect and need to have under you at all times.
                          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Finally it's back where it should be
                            Bought from an older fella, 9500 miles on it, bike sat for a few years, 10+ years I was told, who knows it sat. Bike ran fine when I first got it going, then...

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by jprice90 View Post
                              Finally it's back where it should be
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAa-QOjKhuI
                              That's sounding pretty good! Just for grins and giggles, you might want to click here: READ ME:

Then check out the rest of the stuff I've collected on my little website, link below in my sig.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X