Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fork tubes, to paint, polish or clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork tubes, to paint, polish or clear coat?

Well I've had my 82 1100G for 8 years now, and the fork tubes look as grungy now as when I bought the bike.
    I've kept the original look and paint as is, mostly out of convenience and respect for the crew that designed it.
    But bare or clear coated forks just get grungy real quick.
    I have a 90 GSX750F with the forks painted a medium grey, and that seems to keep and look just fine.
    Just asking: What have other guys done with the fork appearance?
    Post pics please, thanks!
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 04-01-2015, 10:43 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

I've yet to find a clear coat that stands up to the elements on forks. If I were you I'd have them polished. Doesn't take much to keep them looking nice, if the clear coat start to get chips etc... it takes a full disassemble to get the clear coat off and clean them up again.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

As above.....

Comment

Here's what you can get them to look like with a lot of elbow grease.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

All that mirror polishing is for guys with tooooo much time on their hands and it lasts about 10 minutes before you need to do it again.

Put it back to the original finish and clear coat it - job done.

See my: Blog Post Fork Tube Restore

From this:

To this:

Greetings
          Last edited by londonboards; 04-01-2015, 12:28 PM.
          Richard
          sigpic
          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
            Here's what you can get them to look like with a lot of elbow grease.

That is lovely!
            But what do they look like after a load of road crud, grease and stone impacts?
            I'm sure that level of polish would degrade quickly, be high maintenance and accumulate many stone impacts.
            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 04-01-2015, 11:15 PM.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
              All that mirror polishing is for guys with tooooo much time on their hands and it lasts about 10 minutes before you need to do it again.

Put it back to the original finish and clear coat it - job done.

See my: Blog Post Fork Tube Restore

From this:

To this:

Greetings
              That is lovely, and that was my own starting point 8 years ago.
              But that degrades in just a few thousand miles and a couple seasons.
              I was wondering if a 2 pack urethane would stand up longer that a rattle can clear coat?

Comment

someone on the forum had good luck with POR15's "Glisten"....?

"PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
                Glisten PC is a high performance, high-gloss, rock-hard,
                water-clear topcoat, designed for spray or brush application
                over most metal and painted surfaces, including highly polished
                aluminum and chrome surfaces. Glisten PC will not leave
                brushmarks when properly applied and will take 3 to 4
                days to reach maximum hardness. When Glisten PC is fi rst dry
                to the touch, it appears very soft. Avoid touching it for several
                days until it becomes hard and tough. Accidental contact could
                damage the surface before full cure has taken place. Like many
                other POR-15 coatings, Glisten PC is a moisture-cured coating,
                which means it is strengthened by exposure to moisture."

from their pdf

I will eventually hunt this up and try it...but meanwhile, bare polished forks and salt in winter/spring are a real nuisance-it will bloom corrossion OVERNIGHT..though a coat of Fluid film HAS helped if maintained.
                Meanwhile The beater bikee forks now have black paint over a hopefully-useful primer/etcher . It'll chip or just get blasted off by raindrops, but is pretty easy to reapply being an enamel.

Spar varnish is starting to look good to me, versus two-part spray urethanes which are pretty toxic....

Comment

The POR15 stuff sounds promising, I'll have to learn about that.
                  Spar Varnish > belongs on your wooden boat, it's amber to begin with, and gets darker.
                  Even 2 pack urethane turns slightly yellowish in a year.
                  I found that out when I worked on a ding, sprayed from the same cans, the new work was brighter. Had to repaint the whole gas tank.
                  I'll tell ya, I'm already to just spray the forks silver with clearcoat in urethane, I have some left over.
                  Another more expensive option would be, silver ceramic coating. I'm sure that would last.

Comment

I beg to differ with the comment that they last all of 10 minutes when highly polished. I dont recoat mine with anything after I polish them. I rub in some WIZARDS POWER SEAL and thats that. Do that each spring and they look as good as the day you polished them. The stuff works a polymer sealer into the pores and they WILL NOT oxidize.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      someone on the forum had good luck with POR15's "Glisten"....?
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Again, that's just a starting point. They ain't even been put on a bike yet.
                        For how many road miles will they look that good?
                        I don't care how long they last, sitting in a garage.

Another thing; In the north we ride on salted roads in late fall and early spring, maybe even during freak warm spells in winter.
                        I do not ride if I see salt, but it's probably there even until summer.

But, I'm thinking about it, because the stuff says it's for aluminum wheels:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/POR-GPCP.ht...B#.VSJthWbuUfo
                        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 04-06-2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

No,no. was it Ness that posted? No way I'll risk the search engine here...but whoever, had it on a couple of years I think. Engine cases too.
                          I agree with you about the recoats and chip-fixing never matching... and that's why the xtra beater bike with (sigh) more and more semigloss black on her, is becoming more a necessary.

But I agree with the others too- Just Polish works until Dec-March hereabouts on the coast -the rain flushes it off when they stop using it!...when I should not have taken the shiny one out but I did, because it has the best tires. I mean to get smarter and swap the wheels entire to the beater next year...) Trevor has the right idea -wash them after a ride, Por15 Glisten or not, if possible.
                          I'm just harping on the salt warning because It Happened To Hapless Me and nobody was mentioning it.

Comment

Didnt I mention WIZARDS POWER SEAL????? Read up on the stuff. Great product.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Wizards Products makes & sells professional quality detail products to pros & consumers. Polish, wax, cleaner, compounds, buffers, coatings for car, truck, motorcycle, & boat.

ooh! Oh yes, I read that, Chuck and now I am checking it out! It sounds to be more substantial than the Fluid film...

Wizards ® POWER SEAL TM is an easy-to-use liquid
                              sealant that preserves the beauty of polished metals
                              against corrosives such as ordinary air, humidity,
                              water spray and road contaminants such as salt and
                              lime. A bonus with POWER SEAL TM is that it buffs
                              to a long-lasting, slippery, high-gloss finish that will
                              maintain the shine and protect all types of metal sur-
                              faces*. This product is designed to give the highest
                              luster possible requiring the least amount of effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X