Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The GS Resources GS

"Anything not used on the bike can be sold to generate funds" Speaking of funds, I would be happy to throw a few dollars your way. Maybe start a post about donating to the cause.
    My Motorcycles:
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    95 BMW R1100rsl
    82 750e (needs restored)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Quote Originally Posted by dpep View Post
    I am thinking I need to check in with a status report. It has been a while since I posted up Mr Ratley's progress.

The place where I am having the parts painted only has the them prepped at this time--holes filled, cracks welded, metal sanded, etc. The original quote was a week (closing on two now). I knew better but being confident that the work would be done right was a higher priority for me than saving a week or two on the timeline. These guys do good work.

Even if I had the finished parts in hand right now. I would not be able to head to North Georgia. I have a family member getting hip surgery tomorrow and I will need to help them out for at least the next week or so. This was supposed to have happened a couple of weeks ago but got postponed when the surgeon cut his foot on some glass.

Anyway, my goal now is sometime week after next. I will be carrying up every piece and part that might be even remotely associated with the bike. Anything not used on the bike can be sold to generate funds. The parts below are in addition to what is on the bike now.

I just noticed that a couple more interesting items got left out. I will post them up later this week.
    Not a problem Don. We'll be around until Memorial Day weekend. The plan is for Cynthia and I to do a 30+ mile multi-day hike on the Appalachian Trail. We can plan around anything else. Thanks again!

Frank

Default The bike has arrived!

I was waiting to see if Don was going to break the news first but I didn't see anything here. I been out of circulation for the past 3 days hiking in North Georgia so no cell coverage to do any updating, but here I am - finally!

The motorcycle is here. Don drove it up last Thursday on his trailer all the way from Jacksonville. He dropped it off and headed right back down to Florida! Talk about an different kind of iron butt ride. The bike and a lot of parts were dropped off. I can say that the Yellow Frank bike will take a bit of work to get it up to my standards but it's all doable. Right off the bat, I can see a complete teardown to the frame happening in order to get things cleaned, painted and put back together, so this will be a long term project.

I have gone through the extra parts that Don brought up (Are you sure you didn't just want to clean out your garage?) and there will be extras that I won't need. As things progress and I get to the point of knowing what I really don't need then I'll post them in the forum for anyone that may want them.

So thanks again Don for taking the time to drive up, as well make the bike available!!!!

Frank

The ole girl looks in the need of some love for sure. Very cool to see this moving along. Happy wrenching.

Edit...the old guy......Mr Ratley, now Yellow Frank.....duh on me....
    Last edited by dorkburger; 05-26-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: add
    This life is simply a rental...Surely it will eventually have to be turned in....

Loud pipes don`t save lives....skill, safety gear, and a helping of good luck do.......
    Glen
    -85 1150 es far from perfect, far from junk.......
    -Rusty old scooter

Very nice to see your smiling faces. Glad to see you have it.

cg
    1982 GS650g ,1983 GS750ed "RayGun"
    82 & 83 GS1100g Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Jethro is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Very cool!
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

2016 Green Mountain Rally- Coolidge State Park, Plymouth VT Sept. 8th-12th

Have fun with it. Looking forward to updates on the process.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/DrockVan/gs650g/sig-us

Wish you lived closer. I'd love to help out a little though I'd mostly probably be handing wrenches and asking questions.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Better late than never. I have been using the time since the bike delivery to catch up the time I lost doing the bike delivery which amounted to four days solid starting with picking up the painted pieces Monday morning. There was the wrong wiring harness for the truck and then there were the problems with the trailer wiring and....well you know the drill when you start out to do something simple.

The actual drive up wasn't that bad. Yes it was pretty much an Iron Butt trip, right around a 1000 miles total. Seven o'clock in the morning to half past midnight. It IS easier to do in a car/truck than on a motorcycle; You get a lot more miles between gas stops for one thing.

Let me say that Frank does not exactly live 'in town'. When you have to check Google to see if your road is on their map....you get the idea. But he does live in God's country for motorcyclists. He has a nice place just off the Richard Russel Scenic Highway between Helen and the stretch of GA180 known as Wolf Pen Gap (picture a shorter Dragon and add elevation changes). He is located at the geometric center of the North Georgia mountains with easy day trips to the North Carolina and Tennessee mountains. I would love to live there EXCEPT in the winter. A little ice or snow would turn his driveway into an extreme sport venue for a flatlander like me.

Anyway here are a couple of the pictures I took.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Nature bats last

80 GS850G (Yellow) / 80 GS850G (Burgundy) / 2005 Yamaha Majesty
    83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Default Project updates on main website

I have added several pages to the Yellow Frank section on the main website. The link to it is

http://www.thegsresources.com/yellowfrank.php

Frank