Wow--Dodged a bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow--Dodged a bullet

This is the master link clip on my 83 GS1100E. It was tweaked like this on the chain and not even fitted into the grooves. I haven't ridden it outside the neighborhood which is bad enough but imagine it letting go at highway speed or more. I wonder what the person who installed it was thinking.

sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Mine was gone when I checked it a year ago. Remedied that with gasket shellac and it is still there. Once while swapping the stator, I noticed that the countershaft sprocket nut was gone. Lucky.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
      Which is why they aren't a good idea.

Had them come off three different times, once doing about 90 with the wife on the back. Luckily the chain just spooled onto the road, When they rap around the front or rear sprocket, bad things happen.

Get a tool and press on the links and you'll never have to worry about it again. You can by a new link for $8. The tool is about $60.

I know on one occasion I loosened the clip style link your holding cleaning my chain with a rag. It don't take much rubbing against it to knock one off. For a while I was stubborn and cheap and would safety wire the clips on, its better than nothing but not by much.
      That sounds like good advice. I'm going to follow it. I've used chain breakers for racing karts. I guess it's the same but much bigger. $60 is not much to secure your life but it seems like a lot for a chain breaker--oh well.
      sigpic

Comment

I use both styles of master links but when using a rivet link this is the kit i use.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          I use both styles of master links but when using a rivet link this is the kit i use.
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pit-Posse-Ec...49e4ec&vxp=mtr
          Thanks Steve...just ordered one.
          sigpic

Comment

I've used nothing but the clip master link since I've had my bike. Never lost one yet. You just gotta pay attention and make sure they are mounted right and a spot of silicone over the clip will keep it there. Nothing wrong with'em.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I've found these to be very helpful in getting the clips on right.

Comment

I've found one of these...

And one of these...

Are all you need to rivet over a proper strong chain link and no need for special tools.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

nothing wrong with spring clip links IF fitted correctly. if they fall off or you accidentaly knock one off, then it wasn't fitted correctly in the first place, or it is an old, deformed clip
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    nothing wrong with spring clip links IF fitted correctly. if they fall off or you accidentaly knock one off, then it wasn't fitted correctly in the first place, or it is an old, deformed clip
                    This one was definitely not fitted correctly and it was deformed. I did get a chain breaker on Ebay for $20 and it is pretty easy to use.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just bought a GS and it had the master clip missing. Also had the clip side on the back of the Chain where it wasnt easilly visible, Im glad I checked it over before Riding, I also noticed the front sprocket was amzingly loose, Bought new Nut Castle Washer and will loctite it and bang the lock washer over it properly, I think this was reason the Sprockket seal was leaking also. The sprocket could flop around. Mike

Comment

Had a few clips fly off before.
                        Never lost the master though thankfully.
                        Now I will only use rivet type.
                        Removing the swingarm to replace or clean a chain without a chain breaker is worth it for the peace of mind in my opinion.

Comment

On the RG I did fit a factory riveted chain, by removing the swingarm, gives the occasion to grease the linkage as well...
                          Last edited by Lorenzo; 04-26-2015, 07:24 AM.
                          GS1000G '81

Comment

My chain breaker was delivered yesterday. I put the chain back on the bike this morning. At first I had a hard time putting the ends together while keeping the seals in place but then I realized a zip tie would hold the ends together perfectly while I used the chain breaker to secure them together. Pretty easy then. All secure now.
                            sigpic

Comment

BTW, here is a link to the chain breaker I bought. $20. Happy with that too.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X