Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early GS 750 frame.

Is it symmetrical? Cos mine aint

I've looked at that one and don't remember seeing any damage - or alterations. In what way is it not symmetrical ? The twins of the same era have one rear down tube forward of the other, left forward if I remember right.Aids in removing the motor which comes out on the long side. As long as it's in alignment it should be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
      I've looked at that one and don't remember seeing any damage - or alterations. In what way is it not symmetrical ? The twins of the same era have one rear down tube forward of the other, left forward if I remember right.Aids in removing the motor which comes out on the long side. As long as it's in alignment it should be OK.
      Looking through the centreline of the bike the top tube where the rear shock joins, left hand side looks closer to the centreline than the right side.
      Upon another inspection (unless someone tells me otherwise) the frame isn't symmetrical as the two bosses where the shocks go are different lengths the left one is longer than the right which accounts for the left frame tube being closer to the centreline.
      I could be wrong here (hopefully not) as my bike is a race bike that has been severely bastardised.

Comment

from memory they are symmetrical
        maybe post us a pic of the shock mounts and frame at the rear showing how offline
        easy job to straighten if it is bent to the side
        ive had to do it a couple of times after disorderly dismounting at the races, highside get offs seem to be the main offender for pushing top shock mounts across
        the area is really only to hold seat and top shock mounts so does not require a jig
        we bolted frame down on a steel welding table using swingarm pivot and lower engine mounts (made up mounting points welded to table)
        welded upright on to side of table to hold jack, pressed frame across to just past straight while gently heating with oxy
        heated where frame joins main cradle, mine that seemed to be where it was bent going by the stringlines
        left overnight to cool slowly
        next day all good back in action

ozman

Comment

Looking at the pics you've posted elsewhere, I have to wonder if the Lh shock mount has been extended to match the possibly wider 1100 swingarm.
          Have you asked the PO anything about it ? From what i remember of him he was Ok to deal with. Fast Pom on here is his mate,also Darfield. He may know something.

Comment

Three pics. There is a home made spacer inside the shocks which sits up hard against the original boss which doesn't look like theyve been tampered with.
            The right boss is only about 2mm long the left boss is about 12mm long.
            If someone with a 750 could look at the top of their shocks and compare bosses, would be appreciated. Everything else lines up good.

Comment

As you say, the bosses look OE. Maybe factory done to get clearance chain to shock. Obviously, those shocks are fatter than OE so have had to be spaced out further again to get chain clearance.
              Floor crack earthquake damage ?

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                As you say, the bosses look OE. Maybe factory done to get clearance chain to shock. Obviously, those shocks are fatter than OE so have had to be spaced out further again to get chain clearance.
                Floor crack earthquake damage ?
                Yep I think all is fine with the frame. I started this thread after a couple of beers before I noticed the different bosses.
                Yes earthquake.
                In Christchurch. Where are you Greg?

Comment

I'm in Hororata - 1/2 hr west of Ruapuna. 03 318 0013. Happy to advise, supply shims etc.
                  Surrounded by wreckage at present, other peoples....So not in a position to be hands on at the moment.
                  I would like to see that bike finished and racing though - along with fast Poms one....hint.

Comment

Working...
                  X