GS750 won't turn over - battery is charged, Nothing from starter button or kick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    My kicker on the 77 750 is a pain in the azz too. I have worn my leg out with the thing...literally just ran out of breath trying. Unless the timing is spot on and its a "perfect world" screw the damned thing. Short across the selinoid and if it cranks theres the problem.
    This is true. I only have to think about kick starting to get a laugh. Guy goes out all fired up for a ride and comes back in twenty minutes later in a sweat, right leg twitching, fires the lid in the corner, swearing.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Looks impressive hanging there though doesnt it!!!! LMAO
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Looks impressive hanging there though doesnt it!!!! LMAO
        Only if you have a bike between your legs. Air guitar style is not cool
        97 R1100R
        Previous

Comment

Well try the short across and then wire wrapped around a mount bolt going to the neg on the battery to be certain theres a good ground and let us know what happens.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hey Buddy.....trying to kick start your bike??? Nope....just shaking the nuts into place before I sit down. HERES YOUR SIGN!!!!!!!!

Comment

thanks guys - previous owner says check for loose wire to starter solenoid ...

Comment

Not sure if all bike have it but mine has a safety switch at the clutch lever so you have to pull the lever in to start. Mine has been acting up a bit and sometimes I have to jiggle my lever to get it to engage the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonBoyGS View Post
                  thanks guys - previous owner says check for loose wire to starter solenoid ...
                  Has he told you about leaning to the left to get fuel in the carbs or rubbing a pencil on the spark plugs yet ?
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

Originally posted by RGM View Post
                    Not sure if all bike have it but mine has a safety switch at the clutch lever so you have to pull the lever in to start. Mine has been acting up a bit and sometimes I have to jiggle my lever to get it to engage the starter.
                    The switch could be needing a bit of adjustment to get a proper strike from the lever or it could be that the contacts are dirty/corroded and a flush with contact cleaner might do it before opening up.
                    Kill switches, ignition switches and starter buttons all benefit from contact cleaning at this age. For the most part they are straightforward jobs.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous

Comment

Its a 78 750....NO SAFETY SWITCHES anywhere on the bike. Turn on key and VISUALLY see that the neutral light is lit.

There is only 1 wire to the selnoid and its a yellow one. It gets its ground ( earth ) via the frame. This is why I mentioned the problem I had with the 78 1000C..it lost its frame ground. Now...lets review the trouble shooting process.

Make a wire from one of the mount bolts directly to battery negative and try the button. Works..problem solved.

Doesnt work...short across the 2 top big termials. It cranks....replace selinoid..Doesnt crank..the starter is the problem.

Take off starter cover and give it a few medium hard hits with a hammer to see if its stuck..hit button. It cranks you know the starter bushings and / or brushes are on the way out. Either rebuild starter or replace it out right.

Comment

Hello All

I'm new to this forum. Lots of good info. This thread seems to be the closest to the issue I'm having so I'm jumping in head first.

A few days ago I went to start my '77 GS750B. I turned the key on, got all the lights and nothing at the starter switch. Thought the run/stop might have been stuck so flipped that and at the same time turned the key off and on with my other hand. She stared right up. Then, 4 blocks away, she died at a stoplight. Still had all the lights but nothing when I hit the starter switch. I ended up walking her back to my office.

It does not sound like a starter relay or fuse issue to me as it died while running. The battery was at 11.8v / 80% when I checked it. Charged it up to be certain and still nothing. It's a new battery with new, clean cable ends. It is still at my office. I'm looking for suggestions on where to begin looking when I get it home this weekend. My first thought is to make sure all grounds are good. Any other thoughts. I have had a history of charging issues with this bike. Planning to pull the stator and check it as well but that seems to be a different issue.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers !

Ken's 1977 Suzuki GS 750.jpg

Comment

Battery is low, so do the Quick Test and see what you stator is putting out. No need to pull it unless the tests are off.

I'd start with the ignition switch. Take it off and open the bottom and clean all of the contacts. If that isn't the cure, carefully open the kill switch. Many do this in a big zip lock as there are some tiny parts in there.

You did check the fuses? Also, remove the fuse box and check the connections in the back. That's a common issue, the solder comes apart
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Based on how the bike acted and died my suspicions was a bad ground. Turned out to be the solder at the negative side of the Run/Kill switch had broken loose. Got her up and running. I'll follow up on the charging system as well. I still think there is something weak in there.

Now it it time to start some mods.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X