• Show
Clear All

Engine install tip

Might have to try this one.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

I like it! 90% of my hesitation to repaint the frame has been "how in the world will I get the motor back in." Might end up giving this a try really soon!! Great find thanks for the post!

Comment

When I installed the engine in my GS1000 alone, I simply covered the tubes with slotted empty paper towel rolls and put masking tape around them to keep them in place and tight around the frame tubes. Toilet paper rolls will work too. Not a scratch from the engine install.

The system in the video works if you have two people involved. I didn't have that option. I used the slide over method. Using a motorcycle jack like in the video on one side and a center jack under the frame with a board that was just as wide as the inside of the frame tubes on top of the jack. Simply slide the engine over and onto the center jack while suspended above the frame tubes. I used white laminated shelving material so allow the engine to slide easier. Once you get it slid over then drop the center jack enough to get the rear mounting bolt through. You may need to jack the engine around to get things to line up. After that it's a piece of cake.

If I can do it alone on a shaft drive bike without having to remove the drive shaft or swing arm, then anyone can on any of our GS series bikes.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
      X