ring compressor tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ring compressor tool?

I know the traditional "tool" is to have a buddy hold the rings while you lower the cylinder block. But recently I was wondering if there's a better way. What do folks think of these?

There's not much room on the 550 to get the bigger tools in these so some thing small and simple might work.

Looks interesting and in general the right idea. But that doesn't look to me like it would fit into the taper at the bottom of the cylinders while still compressing: that due to the "hooks" on the ends of the bands.

Comment

I share Mike's concern about fitting in the taper.

If one edge would stick up above the squeezing tool, into the taper, it might work quite well.

It's possible to do with your fingers. I just did a 650, there is not any more room on that than there is a 550.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
        Looks interesting and in general the right idea. But that doesn't look to me like it would fit into the taper at the bottom of the cylinders while still compressing: that due to the "hooks" on the ends of the bands.
        Yea I had the same concern. I think I might try to fabricate something along those lines.

Comment

Popcycles were invented, so you could use the sticks to push the rings in the cylinder.
          Speed Merchant
          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

I still have two of those tools sitting in a box. They don't work.

I've tried several things, but found no better or gentler approach than to use your fingers or perhaps a wooden tool as Big Jay suggests.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
              Popcycles were invented, so you could use the sticks to push the rings in the cylinder.

Tongue depressors are thicker & work even better!!
              Ray.

Comment

From past experience the problem is always the outer pistons. Once you get the inner pistons in, you have to get the outer pistons up to get them inserted.

An old forum article suggested this method:

* remove the outer pistons and insert then into the block without the wrist pins and circlips
                * lower the block onto the inner pistons and use fingers to insert the inner pistons into the block
                * rotate crank until the connecting rod's small end lines up with the wrist pin hole in outer pistons
                * insert wrist pins to outer pistons

Has anyone tried this? Did it help?

Comment

Large hose clamps and an old plastic peanut butter container. Cut 1&1/2in sections out of the peanut butter container and wrap those around your rings. Tighten the hose clamps around those plastic strips to compress the rings. Slide jugs onto pistons, remove hose clamps and plastic strips.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
                    From past experience the problem is always the outer pistons. Once you get the inner pistons in, you have to get the outer pistons up to get them inserted.

* remove the outer pistons and insert then into the block without the wrist pins and circlips
                    * lower the block onto the inner pistons and use fingers to insert the inner pistons into the block
                    * rotate crank until the connecting rod's small end lines up with the wrist pin hole in outer pistons

Never tried it, but it sounds like it might work. Just push the outer pistons up into the bore until you've done the inners then push them down to expose the wrist pin bore. It sounds like it could work. Me, after fights with bogus compressors and gear clamps I used my fingers or a stick if you don't have good thumb nails. ....simple.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I too used fingers ... it often takes multiple tries but it works!

Comment

Thanks everyone, used the c-clamp "break" the seal on them then used the compression tool. Worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post

I gave this a try last night. I don't recommend it, at least on the 550s. Just not enough room to get the wrist pins in without having the outer pistons wiggle loose. And then you have to just insert them again. So I think the original approach where you get the inner pistons in and then work on the outer is still the best.

One thing I started doing which helped: I put the bike in 6th gear and wedged a piece of wood under the rear tire. Not enough to tip it off the center stand but just enough to keep the pistons from moving too much. I had to adjust for slack in the chain. This imobilized the middle pistons in the TDC position and made inserting them much less niggly.

Comment

Originally posted by SocialAnomaly99 View Post
                            Large hose clamps and an old plastic peanut butter container. Cut 1&1/2in sections out of the peanut butter container and wrap those around your rings. Tighten the hose clamps around those plastic strips to compress the rings. Slide jugs onto pistons, remove hose clamps and plastic strips.
                            Worked a charm for me. After an hour trying fingers and hose clamps alone I didn't feel happy going for the tap in either way. Two strips from an old plastic paint bucket and the block practically fell onto the pistons. The tricky bit was getting the strips off the two outers without snagging the base gasket.
                            In retrospect if I had used something a little closer to the piston size there would have been less of a problem.
                            Last edited by Brendan W; 09-09-2015, 08:11 AM.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I have used them recently to reassemble my 80 1100 motor. They were easy to use and made it a relatively hassle free job.DSCF4199.jpg
                              80 GSX1100 ET
                              82 GSX750 EZ
                              84 GSX1150 ES
                              86 GSX750 ES
                              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Working...
                              X