Rear wheel shaft drive bushings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel shaft drive bushings.

I give. How do I get the new ones in. I've had them in the freezer for a couple of hours...

Tricks, tips, wisecracks accepted.

Thanks!

-btreadz

Do you mean the two bearings on axle or the six bushings on the hub gizmo?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The six rubber bushings in the hub.

Comment

Someone must have done this! I just looked casually over mine when I replaced rear tire. So you removed the three locking tabs and got the hub out of the existing bushings? Were the old bushings nicely baked into the assembly and are stuck , or have you already got them out? Do these bushings appear to go in in certain direction? Not clear why freezing them would help much here . Probably going to take mucho force to push hub assembly thru the new bushings all the way
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Try using some lithium grease and drive them in with a socket. The freezing probably does help a little too. You could also warm the hub with a torch to help expand the openings.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I removed them without issue with WD40 and a large screwdriver working in a circular motion. Getting them back in proved to be a serious hassle. I ended up letting the shop do it while they mounted my new tires. They fabricated a little sleeve out of a piece of exhaust pipe cut up the side, and then put a pipe clamp around it to squeeze the bushing. They left a little lip on one side of the exhaust pipe sleeve to act like a shoehorn. Then they used a press. Worth paying them to do for me! Thanks for the advice.
            In new news I just started the bike after a couple months of recovery from shoulder surgery and i have a tapping from my cam it sounds like...Never made a sound for the last 3k after I rebuilt the motor. Now tapping....

Comment

Anyone else have experience with these? It seems that if someone can remove them on their own, they could fit them as well. I'll be doing mine soon, and would prefer not to take the wheel to a shop.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
              X