can i make a Starter relay bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i make a Starter relay bypass

Hey guys just looking for some info. My starter relay/solenoid failed im just wondering if this bypassable. my 81 GS650GL is pretty modified and hacked as it is its a bobber/ratbike. Im just curios if I can bypass the relay with a mounted push button toggle, rather then going and buying a new relay. Also i think it would be another neat little feature to add to the bobber/rat look having a secret little button to start it. Is there any damage to the charging system that can accure from a bypass. Im not concerned about losing saftey switches and No one rides it buthave mods that eliminated some safty switches. Any info is appreciated.

No replies till we see picture! Bypassed safety switches?

just get a lawn mower solenoid (a type of relay )at lowes Home Depot , etc. maybe $16. Then you can easily hook up secret starter button. The charging system won't care what you to to starter circuit

are you sure your stock solenoid hadn't just lost its frame ground due to corrosion or over zealous hacking?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Actually the only safty thats really been bypassed is the safty so you cant start in gear. I dont remeber why i think it was when I removed all the gauges, blinkers, and such fabbed a bracket and remounted the speedo. Ive had my bike for like 6 years so i cant remeber exactly. I know I will get ripped on for these things but i enjoy my bike the way it is. Ill see if i have a pic i can add, im sure your thinking all hacked and exposed and ghetto. I actually spent alot of time painting fabbing and making things look good. Yet leaving little things simple to make it look kinda ratish.

Comment

I would think that you will still need some sort of relay due to the amp draw of the starter. If not, it would likey require a rather large switch to handle the current.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You have to have a starter solenoid (relay). As stated above, the starter motor pulls too much current to allow for a simple switch. I'd just replace the stock solenoid with a replacement unit. Go used if you're on the cheap. They don't usually go bad so a used one is probably going to be OK.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

You can just short out the existing solenoid with a strap of copper or a screw driver but it's dumb dumb dumb.

SPARKS! SPARKS SPARKS ! a little gas fume and you are history. That's why solenoids are contained in cases. even the old floorboard starter buttons are somewhat enclosed.
            but you could make one from an old solenoid.... a big button would push down against the spring inside. You would want it very near to where it is...not far from battery or starter. Battery boost cables are a source of cable.

need mention it's Ridiculous if you think of running a heavy cable to the handlebars. The oem system is so much better and they are very reliable. When was the last time you saw a car let alone a bike without one

Comment

"Actually the only safty thats really been bypassed is the safty so you cant start in gear. "

strange, I can start my bike in any gear, clutch in or out, cuz clutch switch has been bypassed.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Gsrider View Post
                Im just curios if I can bypass the relay with a mounted push button toggle, rather then going and buying a new relay. Also i think it would be another neat little feature to add to the bobber/rat look having a secret little button to start it.
                Found this earlier today while discussing a GR650. It's one of the best starter ideas I've seen for a while.

The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by Gsrider View Post
                  Actually the only safty thats really been bypassed is the safty so you cant start in gear.
                  Don't kid yourself, these bikes are not that "smart".

The ONLY "safety" device they have had is a switch in the clutch handle that prevented using the electric starter unless the clutch was pulled. It did not matter what gear was engaged, including neutral. My Goldwing "knows" the difference between neutral and a gear. If it's in neutral, you don't need to pull the clutch. If it's in gear, you HAVE to pull the clutch. The Suzuki GS series did not do that.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X