No announcement yet.

The GS Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you make the wind deflector/speedo visor? I like it.... post a close up if you ever get a chance.

Originally posted by G-3 View Post
    To this, I like it better!
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
      "Rear sets for early GS cycles".......are there any?.......adjustable would be better.
      Yes they still make them for the G1000, maybe more, just google it. It ain't so hard to adapt rear sets from sport bikes too.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by timdaw
        Hi there. That screen. Where did you get it and can I get one please? Does it require any special mods? Thanks in advance.
        Hi, I see you are new here, so .

When you say "That screen", to which bike/poster are you referring?
        Either ask someone by name or at least reference the post number.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Love the color, almost like mine.

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
            GS1000 makes a poor cafe racer..... Maybe less cafe, and more Superbike.

8Ball, is that your GS1000 in the picture with the Fox Factory Shox piggybacks? I'd like to know what front rotors those are (on Morris mags???) as I will likely be needing to find a source for semi-custom non-floating rotors in the next year or two as many vintage racing classes (most WERA classes) outlaw the use of floating rotors.

I'll be building a "non-cafe" racer 489cc 10.65:1 or so GS425 race bike starting this winter out of a stocker and spare engine that I have.
            GS400 race bike pic a member on Caferacer.net had saved from a previous member's post a few years ago:

I will also be building a Rickman CR900 modified for GS engine mounts vs Z1. 894cc or 920cc GS750 10.35:1. CR's are often mislabeled as CR for Cafe Racer, when in fact t Rickman sales literature shows it as being an acronym for Competition Replica. The Rickman CR750/900/1000/1100's of the 1970'S and early 80's still were frequently referred to even in 1970's magazine articles as Cafe Racers, however...
            My current Rickman CR road racer project, so far missing the fiberglass tank cover and seat tail section. Yes it has RF900R 43mm forks and WERA Vintage 5 - outlawed CBR900RR (310mm) floating rotors and Hayabusa 6 piston calipers. Those 2 items will have to get swapped out if we start racing the Rickman in WERA V5.
            Yoshimura Series 1 GS1000 exhaust was a nice score for this! Bday gift from the wifey thanks to my good buddy Grant at the Rice Paddy (great local vintage Japanese salvage/parts shop).

I don't like the full Rickman fairings at all, but I do really like the quarter fairing. I may do one of these, ESPECIALLY if we race it.

The GS425 489cc will more likely be the bike that gets raced, as I will build it to WERA Formula 500 spec, which will also allow it to race in Clubman and Vintage 4.

This is more what the Rickman CR900 920cc GS750 will look like, black and gold with this fiberglass. It will have the other version of the Rickman side covers however. Not the Z1 copies shown here. I may do some ECTA (East Coast Timing Association) "Ohio Mile" abandoned airport runway land speed record races on the Rickman however, which would require the quarter fairing most definitely. I would likely swap a GS1100E swingarm onto it for that and just let the shocks lay down more and drop the front end more as well.
            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Finally got around to cutting and painting my front fender to match the tank. I still plan on updating the rear of the bike while also eliminating the stock side covers. Moving electronics into a box I'll be building under the seat.

Comment

1979 GS750 Cafe Racer

It's been a long build. I've taken a lot of time to do things to the best of my ability. Some of the modifications have seen multiple revisions because I've either made mistakes or found a better way. It's been a great learning experience and hopefully will translate into high quality builds (with fewer revisions!) in the future. There is also quite a bit of time in R&D, CAD, and machine work for the bike and its parts (this is where the majority of the time has been spent). I'm hoping to have the body work/paint and all of the fit/finish done by next year.

I started out wanting to build the PERFECT bike. My vision of the perfect bike has changed over the last three years as well as my definition of perfect. I realize now that "perfection" is unattainable. We can strive for it but it can never be truly realized. For one, our method of measurement will never be perfect, therefore how could we ever attain it? And so, we do the best we can.

Here is my best, with all of its imperfections that I've learned to honor as acceptable. That was tough for me as many of the things I considered "imperfect" were absolutely acceptable. And I've got to say, that has been my biggest takeaway from building this bike. Build your best, accept it if it truly is, and move on. If your best isn't good enough, have someone who's an expert help with that portion. Motorcycles are as imperfect as their human counterparts, even from the factory. Be accurate where it counts, and be creative where it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by sven77 View Post
                  Hey,

somebody told me this could be the right place to present my ride again after my introduction thread.
                  So, here is my ride. GS 550E (modified a little bit ). It lives in Germany (like me too).

Greets
                  Sven

Now this, I like.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

My GS425 racer build just got a really nice cosmetic facelift currently in transit to me... the flat '77 GS400 seat and pristine stock black GS425E tank were very excellent choices, but I have been craving the GS450 sport tank for a while, & stumbled upon a good deal. The Giuliari seat was another item I was lusting after but could not justify on my 750 as that makes saddlebags not so practical. When I saw this 78 GS400 Giuliari seat after spotting the 450 tank, I knew I had to get both... They will look fantastic with the stock GS425 tail section, which I believe is required for WERA Formula 500 racing per the rule stating that the seat / fender / bodywork has to extend back enough to be even with the rear of the rear tire.

I think I may look for another of these for my GS550 project as well... classy Suzuki steel!
                    Last edited by Chuck78; 02-05-2017, 10:22 AM.
                    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I have a Giuliari seat like that for my 1000E. I just had the upholsterer refurbish it by adding an additional panel on the back where that wedge shaped panel is. Now I have two wedge shaped panels on the back, and the tear is gone. The Suzuki logo was saved. I'm thinking of some lower bars and a set of Raask rearsets, and calling it good, or maybe just keeping it stock and not using that seat.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by T8erbug View Post
                        It's been a long build. I've taken a lot of time to do things to the best of my ability. Some of the modifications have seen multiple revisions because I've either made mistakes or found a better way. It's been a great learning experience and hopefully will translate into high quality builds (with fewer revisions!) in the future. There is also quite a bit of time in R&D, CAD, and machine work for the bike and its parts (this is where the majority of the time has been spent). I'm hoping to have the body work/paint and all of the fit/finish done by next year.

I started out wanting to build the PERFECT bike. My vision of the perfect bike has changed over the last three years as well as my definition of perfect. I realize now that "perfection" is unattainable. We can strive for it but it can never be truly realized. For one, our method of measurement will never be perfect, therefore how could we ever attain it? And so, we do the best we can.

Here is my best, with all of its imperfections that I've learned to honor as acceptable. That was tough for me as many of the things I considered "imperfect" were absolutely acceptable. And I've got to say, that has been my biggest takeaway from building this bike. Build your best, accept it if it truly is, and move on. If your best isn't good enough, have someone who's an expert help with that portion. Motorcycles are as imperfect as their human counterparts, even from the factory. Be accurate where it counts, and be creative where it doesn't.

Sexy bike that one
                        I build Pipers

Comment

Keep up the fine work.

Comment

Hi there,

Not sure how active this tread still is but thought I'd share my pride and joy.
                            '83 GS650GT

GS650GT.jpg

Comment

Very nice and 'clean' indeed!
                              GS1000G '81

Comment

Let me throw my little 550e in also. My first non cruiser build!!!20180829_162116.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X