No announcement yet.

Sunrise / Sunset Rides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't a particularly great photo of a sunrise/sunset, however, it was taken on June 19th at 12:40am at Dawson City, Yukon. It is, in fact a photo of sunrise/sunset happening at the same time. It can be tough to sleep up in the Yukon when the daylight is 24hrs every day!

IBA# 12860
    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
    1984 KZ1100R
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Yesterday's sunrise on a "clear" morning ride on Rt 100 in central VT....

[/QUOTE]

I love this pic. It reminds me of mornings in central PA, Pine Creek Valley, where I vacationed with the parents, and still visit occasionally. The morning fog usually hangs in the valley until around 9 or 10 until the sun comes up over the mountain.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

There are mountains in Pennsylvania?
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Its all relative, but to this NJ flatlander, yes.
          http://
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Up before dawn on the KLR with my wife and headed to the shore in the dark for a sunrise. By the time we made it to the Atlantic the sun had already popped but made for a nice shot. After stripping down we jumped in the chilly ocean to wake up. It never gets warm in the Atlantic around here but it's good for the aging body. Only 1 deer on the way, but she stayed off in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
              Up before dawn on the KLR with my wife and headed to the shore in the dark for a sunrise.
              That would be pretty early in the morning. Good photo.

Good thing I am on the sunset side of Lake Michigan .

Last edited by Redman; 07-28-2016, 09:38 AM. Reason: grammur and spulling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I started 23 years ago.... many deferred house projects from when we moved in 5 or so years ago are coming up due

Comment

Lake Michigan Sunset

At the state park beach parking lot.
                  Have to get there early for good sunset parking spot.
                  Got there about half hour early and only had a few choices, this spot the only one that didnt have trash can or bench or distractive big sign right in foreground.

TO get entire bike in frame, need 2 or 3 parking spaces without cars, but since all spaces full, I had to limit the perspective.
                  I suppose I could have parked up on the sidewalk to get away from cars in parking spaces, but is a lot of folks strolling along.

(will go back in Sept/October, less folks there, and sun setting behind the pier.)

Have posted this scene/setting/perspective before ....

GK will get its turn in a few weeks.
                  August sunsets are often better (higher humidity, better light refraction or whatever it is that makes the color in the sunset).

<<later note >>

Since "Sunset" is in the thread topic:

Question: You know why the sunset is orange?
                  Answer: Because the sky is blue.

Question: Why is the sky blue on a sunny clear day during the day?
                  Answer: Because that is the light that is getting scattered only a little bit while going thru the atmosphere, the portion of the light that is getting scattering a lot more sideways, that is what is making the sunset way off to the east and/or sunrize way off to the west.

(This is my unsubstantiated theory/idea. Do not know that it is entirely correct in every aspect, but I think is consistent with the general situation.)
                  (Maybe Steve has a complete explanation, he seems good at explaining things in more detail if I am not entirely correct in every aspect.)

Last edited by Redman; 07-28-2016, 09:52 AM. Reason: later note

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have seen the title of this thread slide past on the screen occasionally, but just don't have anyplace around here that is a good sunrise/sunset venue. I looked for any 'rules', did not see any that prohibited older pictures, so I hereby offer these:

Lake Wales, Flori-duh, February or March, 2010

OK, since this is a GS forum,
                    Great Sacandaga Lake, New York, August, 2011

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I have seen the title of this thread slide past on the screen occasionally, but just don't have anyplace around here that is a good sunrise/sunset venue. I looked for any 'rules', did not see any that prohibited older pictures, so I hereby offer these:

Come on Steve...get out tomorrow morning/evening and get a new pic. I'm sure over a flat cornfield on some Ohio roadside there is a pretty sunrise or sunset waiting to be a back drop to your bike. Some of the most colorful skies I've seen have been morning or evening skies over flat mid western states!!
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2016, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                        Come on Steve...get out tomorrow morning/evening and get a new pic. I'm sure over a flat cornfield on some Ohio roadside there is a pretty sunrise or sunset waiting to be a back drop to your bike.
                        SW oHio is hilly. And green
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                          SW oHio is hilly. And green
                          Maybe Cincy area is hilly but not Dayton? They're all green til you get out to your way.

Comment

Dayton has a lot of trees around it and some decent hills though there are a few spots you can take a shot over them.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The ride back to the hotel tonight from my total control class in Kentucky

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

ON my way into work this AM
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X