No announcement yet.

Old bike New owner... Hi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great looking bike... Great color scheme. Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Update time!

Hey guys and gals,

It's been a good long time ago that I posted on this forum.
      But that's about to change! Becouse I finally got my drivers licence!!
      I know I know; what took you so long, well let's say life happened.
      But about half a year ago all I could see were people enjoying them self on motorbikes.
      And not being able to drive the two that ik have in the garage felt quite stupid, so I finally got around to getting my licence.

I'm super happy that I finally did, and I'm slowly getting to know my 650gt. Which isn't the easiest of relationships.
      But that's why I call it a hobby and hope that makes up for it.

In the weeks before I had my licence I cleaned the carbs, and replaced all the O-rings in the carbs and the 4 intake boot ones.
      When i tried to wash the air filter it disintegrated in my hands and ordered a new one along with a clip for the intake filter cover(was missing )
      So far so good.

Then I decided that It was a good idea to do all the maintenance that the manual mentioned because I don't know what was or wasn't done to the bike and more importantly when.
      So I started with the valve adjustment and of course couldn't find any shims in my area... after a lot of searching and calling around I found an company in the south of the Netherlands that had them. Yeej!
      It took me a good few tries to get good measurements because they kept changing on me. But after reading the manual again and again I read that the lobes should be in the upright position and not in line with the valve/shims.
      so after lots and lots of remeasuring and checking the measurements of the shims I ordered the ones i needed and one week later fitted them in the bike.

Also I changed all the oils (except for the cardan hub which I still have to do.) And checked the brakes.

At this time I received my licence and of course wanted to ride!
      So I geared up, rolled the bike out, checked for gas and hit the start button....

It turned over.....and over and over... no bang.
      What the! this wasn't how I imagined my first ride on my own bike.
      two car batteries later it finally started and seem to run well. A bit irregular at first but when it was running for a few minutes the sound was consistent and that was good in my eye's (ears) because I have no reference whatsoever.
      So I drove around a bit and everything seemed well. after a few miles I stopped at a friend who wasn't home and the bike started right up again and I drove off. Some time later at another friend after some coffee same thing. light touch on the starter and started right up. Went to my dad's talked a bit maybe an hour, geared up hit the starter button..... and it turned over and over and over but no bang..;( I completely drained the battery but nothing. There I was all geared up... felt quite stupid. after 30 minutes I tried again and it started with a few tries but I got the impression that it held in while driving city speeds. not much, but it was driving slightly jerky.

So the next day I dove onto the forum and read trough the mega welcome again and decided that it would 'maybe' be a good idea to go trough the list to get my bike in good and reliable working order.
      I bought new spark plugs, but haven changed them because the ones that are in are the textbook example of prefect colouration (as per my motorcycle enthusiast neighbour)
      than I thought hmm I did clean the carbs and rembered that the idle fuel mixture screw were only open for about two turns or less. so I searched the forum and changed them to three turns open and whoa! Now it starts at the first push of the button! Cold or hot doesn't make any difference. The throttle stop screw had to be screwed back a bit and it idles much better now. I have to fine tune it still, but at least I can ride!

That brings me to my current discovery the bike is holding back while accelerating. Or rather, at constant speeds it seems to run fine. But when I accelerate I sometimes feel a boost and than it falls back to 'normal' and than an boost again. This feels almost binary.

In the beginning cylinder #1 wasn't firing at first but after a bit it went fine. With that in mind i'm thinking maybe i'm running on three cylinders normally and sometimes #1 does fire while accelerating? also The #2, #3 and #4 pipe bends are bluish in colour but the first isn't. But the bike doesn't smoke at all. I'll check the plugs after dinner. But haven't the faintest where I should start looking with this problem. Maybe I'll have to start checking electrical first.. dunno I'll keep you posted on my progress.
      And helpful tips are of course always welcome!

And now for some eye candy!

bye!

Comment

Man nice bike!!!
        We really got the shaft (no pun intended) on not getting some really cool Suzuki bikes over here...

Welcome!
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Beautiful. Like the color scheme and fairing.

Nic
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

First I've seen of this thread... welcome!

Crazy pic of you on the bike--I haven't completely read your post as you have written alot. I'll give it my full attention when I'm off work.

Great color scheme...and sweet fairing. 200euro is a great price (remarkably lucky).

Keep the pics coming!

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks, I think it's one of the best value for money buy's I've done in my life(and I've bought some things pretty cheap )
              I had another ride tonight(it's 21:00 over here ) but after fixing a friends tv system for about 45 to 60 minutes, the bike started really bad. There was some combustion straight from the start, but it wouldn't keep running.
              after some trying it finally started rough and the whole way back I had the idea it was running on 3 or 2 cylinders... it would keep running steadily but rough.
              And during constant speeds it would jerk sometimes forward a bit and sometimes hold back.

I'm going to change the spark plugs tomorrow, and use an old one to make an adapter for my compression tester. So I know if there is a compression problem. Also will check the electrical from an to the coils.
              I'll keep you posted.

As for the long writing, usually I'm pretty short and to the point... but here not so much apparently.
              Ah well text for the readers, pics for the fast paces people

cheers
              Pim.

Comment

You seem to be good with electrical things (finding fault on friend's fuel tank float sensor; fixing tv; etc.) so I suggest you measure the resistance of #1 spark plug cap [why do I say #1? because you say that exhaust does not seem to get as hot as the other 3, pointing to #1 cylinder as being the most likely cylinder that is misbehaving]. Unscrew the cap from the plug wire and measure resistance. There is a small resistor inside the cap which can cause intermittent contact (the part that fits onto the sparkplug can be screwed out to locate the resistor). Some people replace that with a solid metal piece, or buy a new spark plug cap.

You can also cut a short piece of the plug wire off to expose nice new wires inside when you screw the spark plug cap back onto the wire. Often this restores good contact again.

Good luck with finding the problem!
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

So I had today totally free to work on the bike, and I started with the spark plug caps.
                  The first one I opened was really hard to unscrew and when it came loose, the resistor fell out in many pieces.
                  So that's a good sign I thought, because my Idea that one cylinder was acting up might be right!
                  I continued to unscrew and clean the other caps and apart from some rust and brass oxidation they were fine.
                  As I did the other caps I realised that there were no spring and small brass disk in the cylinder one cap. So I made one
                  and as you can see replaced the bust resistor by an new, maybe somewhat unconventional, wire resistor. Works like a charm!
                  also cut a small piece of the cables as suggested from the cables that seemed corroded.

The bike is more responsive now and idles smoothly. The pick up from idle is okay, but could be better. But for that I'll have to make an manometer first.
                  I did a small test drive, and that turned into the most awesome ride I ever did! (but that is not too hard since it's maybe the third time I did a longer drive )
                  The weather also helped a ton, because normally it's cold and wet this time of year, but today it was super sunny and 18 degrees C.

Some pictures of the work and pleasure
                  Resistor fragments from #1 cyllinder

making a new brass plate thing

New assembly with added spring(was missing) new plate, unorthodox resistor and the screw.
                  I opted for a resistor because I have resistor free plugs, and would like to have some reception on my phone while the bike is running.
                  and also for future communication devices to have optimal range. I have to admit I don't know at what frequency the plugs sing, but I imagine
                  it would be broadband

At a friends(who wasn't home, but his neighbour told me he had an Honda 4 cylinder, and an bmw boxer once. So we had a nice chat.

bye!

Pim.

Comment

Love this thread...probably because the owner is from the Netherlands...and keeps me in suspense...and does some handy work...and has a cool bike!

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                      Love this thread...probably because the owner is from the Netherlands...and keeps me in suspense...and does some handy work...and has a cool bike!

Ed
                      Yes those are all good reasons to stay tuned....
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll keep posting as i ride or wrench around.

Comment

I am a late arrival at this party but I just wanted to add my .02 cents here and say wow, that is a beautiful bike especially with that fairing. Hope you can get it all squared away and enjoy the pleasure of just riding it soon.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

yes! really Nice bike! and what a cool fix on the suppression resistor! (that's 6700 ohms if my memory serves...)

Comment

Well if you ever want to sell it.....nice ride. It is easy to change the wires from the coils as well. Just pull them out and remove the old epoxy, not hard, cut new wires to size and screw them in and re-epoxy, wala your done.

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thanks guys.
                                And that's good to know Gustovh! Maybe when the weather gets too cold to ride here (like with ice and snow e.c.t.)I'll give the bike an complete electrical overhaul.
                                I did a 100km (62miles) ride last sunday, and it was the best ride I ever did(but that's easy still) It was also the furthest I have ridden, and the bike did a fantastic job!

Comment

Working...
                                X