No announcement yet.

Left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think you would notice less flow/pressure coming from that pipe. Could be like a mouse nest.
    Catalitic converter get clogged from either burning oil, or running rich for far too long. But I don't think that can happen on these bikes.
    I can't even imagine any other reason why the muffler would get that hot but not the pipes. I would check for a nest.

Also, it's possible that said blockage is now gone? Gave it a good twist at some point and blew it out?
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

My other GS.... 82 Katana

Here's my other GS......
      I bought this back in 1986 after my 84 FJ1100 was totalled by my friend, when an old lady knocked him into a cornfield.
      Believe it or not...........I used my 78 GS1000 I bought in 82 (burnout pic) as the down payment for the new FJ1100 in 84

Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful Kat.
        I see stainless brake lines, other than that is it stock?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Completely original except for brakelines and pads...tires and chain.....newer swingarm/wheel/head bearings.
          Exhaust/airbox/paint/seat....everything else is as it was from the factory. with 33 years of careful patina control

Comment

It's an '82, USA KAT, so it's 1,000, not 1,100 cc's, correct?

Extremely gorgeous, BTW.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
              I would think you would notice less flow/pressure coming from that pipe. Could be like a mouse nest.
              Catalitic converter get clogged from either burning oil, or running rich for far too long. But I don't think that can happen on these bikes.
              I can't even imagine any other reason why the muffler would get that hot but not the pipes. I would check for a nest.

Also, it's possible that said blockage is now gone? Gave it a good twist at some point and blew it out?
              I was changing out the pipes on my old skunk last week that hasn't ben started for 25/30 years and tipped about a pound of rust out of just one side.

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I decided the fairing I was going to trash, will get put on the for sale section here.
                Free to who ever drives to my house to get it...

Comment

Clearcoat that tank to preserve the patina!!!

Then stick a Mr. Turbo kit on it.
                  2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                  2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

I have seriously considered that...(the patina part). But the matching seat wouldn't work for long....and a new seat wouldn't match the tank anymore...
                    I'm cleaning the inside with vinegar right now, (wasn't near as bad on the inside) just so I can get it running, and do some shake down runs with the other parts I will be putting on.
                    Still waiting on spokes for front wheel, and trying to decide on what route I want to go on brakes yet. Ultimately this bike will be my cruiser (avoiding the typical Harley bagger route)...So leaving the engine bone stock. My other GS is getting the works as far as engine and so on.

Comment

You could get the seat recovered in an "aged" leather for that lived in look. Or invest in a few rolls of duct tape!
                      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                        You could get the seat recovered in an "aged" leather for that lived in look. Or invest in a few rolls of duct tape!
                        I had another CBX years ago, with a duct tape seat....gets sticky all over after being in the sun during the summer, made it hard to move around
                        The aged leather is an idea....I've seen that used on some higher end rat rods at the Indy Goodguys show a few years ago...

Comment

"I have seriously considered that...(the patina part). But the matching seat wouldn't work for long....and a new seat wouldn't match the tank anymore..."

You could just through some clear vinyl over the seat like grandma used to have on the couch.
                          GSRick
                          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Goshen eh? I used to work in Goshen, at Glavel, making fiberglass conversion van parts. We need to form a NWI meet & greet, Ride, bbq, whatever... Getting to be quite a few of us up here.

I am just south of Knox...
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                              "I have seriously considered that...(the patina part). But the matching seat wouldn't work for long....and a new seat wouldn't match the tank anymore..."

You could just through some clear vinyl over the seat like grandma used to have on the couch.
                              Love that pic brings back horrid memories of visiting friends who had plastic still on lampshades and those ridiculous vinyl runners over the carpets.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                                Love that pic brings back horrid memories of visiting friends who had plastic still on lampshades and those ridiculous vinyl runners over the carpets.
                                Ah, but they were awesome for playing Hot Wheels on. Grandma had the runners also.
                                GSRick
                                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                                X