1977 GS750 engine block oil leak @ front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 engine block oil leak @ front

The bike was not ridden particularly hard before it was stored for 20 years, but at some point the front of the engine was covered in oil which must have escaped from somewhere.

I thought that these engines were stone axe reliable and did not suffer such woes, but anyway where is the most likely culprit for oil to seep out? Head gasket? Cam cover gasket?

Thanks for your input. Nick

the best way to see where it leaks is to clean the engine and then you will see exactly where the oil come from,on my GS400 '79 i have a little oil leak on the head gasket.

Comment

A few days ago I read a thread on here (I am new to this extensive mechanics too) and they
      cleaned engine with degreaser and then spread some talcum powder on engine.

then started engine and then you can see where it is coming out of.
      I have never done that but will now.

It might have saved me my horror story of a rebuild of my top end.
      UKJULES
      ---------------------------------
      Owner of following bikes:
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Likely choices are tach drive, cam chain tensioner, valve cover gasket. Head and base gasket is possible but not too likely.

Stone axe reliable they are, but that does not mean they will withstand 38 years of neglect with no maintenance whatsoever.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The cam chain tensioner [under the carburetors] can leak and the oil can flow between the cylinders and down the front due to the tilt of the block. It won't just be the gasket but the internals of the tensioner, and getting the right seal and o ring and getting it back together and installed right requires knowledge and skill. It's not difficult, but you don't want to do it wrong or you'll have far bigger troubles.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
            The cam chain tensioner [under the carburetors] can leak and the oil can flow between the cylinders and down the front due to the tilt of the block. It won't just be the gasket but the internals of the tensioner, and getting the right seal and o ring and getting it back together and installed right requires knowledge and skill. It's not difficult, but you don't want to do it wrong or you'll have far bigger troubles.
            Hmmm. Lots to think about. I should have had a closer look at, and been more specific with, my descriptive as to the location of the goo: at the front of the engine in a straight line below the cylinder head/cylinder join. Nothing above that line and nothing burnt onto the headers, which would discount the cam cover and tach drive. Once I've cleaned it up I'll get a better idea; now the pipes are off (being discussed under another thread) that job will be a lot easier.

Thanks so far.

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
              It won't just be the gasket but the internals of the tensioner, and getting the right seal and o ring and getting it back together and installed right requires knowledge and skill.
              Nah, any moron can do it with the information here:

It's one of the easiest things to fix on any GS. The hardest part is reaching in there with a 10mm wrench.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I concur - I had to change a valve bucket from when I had the bike up and running
                just to check - i had to remove the cam chain tensioner i had just sorted the day before.

to remove , reset and refit should take no longer than 10 mins and agreed the hard
                bit is getting in there with a 10mm spanner.

When you have time get stuck into that issue. The bike is worth saving ....

Cleaning up the old gasket and surfaces is not easy on the head side.
                always worth sorting the surfaces .....
                UKJULES
                ---------------------------------
                Owner of following bikes:
                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

All good stuff. Thanks for the input. If push comes to shove once I've cleaned it up and sorted the carbs I will run the bike and do the talcum powder thing. Frankly I can live with a bit of haemorrhaging just to have the bike up and running!

Comment

Suzuki's don't leak, they just mark there territory
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                      Suzuki's don't leak, they just mark there territory
                      Har har, har de har!

Comment

a leak from the cam cover can end up in unexpected places, esp. if it is in the middle of the head. clean it up, do some maintenance, dont panic and bust out the sledge....
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Well, it's been a long time getting back to this ;-). Becoming single, selling a house and moving, going on lengthy motorcycle trips (not on the GS) from here to Florida and then across to L.A, are all time consuming activities.

Anyway, I finally have 0 distractions and can crack on with the bike. The leak was from the tachometer seal at the front. Thanks for the input from one and all.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                          X