A Very Soggy Independence Day Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Very Soggy Independence Day Weekend

Instead of the normal sitting around town for the 4th, we decided to spend this weekend traveling as the girls have other plans for soccer and marching band over the next few weeks. So early Friday morning the wife and three of the kids took off in the Chevy while Charmayne and I jumped on the bike. After making a wrong turn along the way, we finally arrived in Kentucky through Maysville on KY-11 on the way to the Natural Bridge State Park for our first stop. Unfortunately, we encountered some heavy flooding just south of Mount Sterling (several homes moved off their foundations) and had to abandon that portion of the trip. Some rerouting, much rain leading to a couple of long stops, and a few hours later we ended up in Stearns, Kentucky. Despite wearing my Frog Toggs, I was soaked through to the skin and left puddles the size of small lakes in the hotel room that night.

Please forgive the quality of most of these pictures as they are taken in the rain

On the way to dinner on Friday in Williamsburg along KY-92

Saturday morning started off a little drier than the day before but didn't last very long as we made our way to Cumberland falls. I was able to enjoy myself along KY-700 on a very nice twisty road but became soaked again by the time we made the falls thanks to more heavy rains.

When I stopped to take this picture, I had time to park the bike, remove the gloves, and take these two pictures before the wife showed up (can see her car cresting the hill in the second picture).

The stone bridge over the river:

The falls:

sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Fortunately, Saturday afternoon's weather cooperated for us after we got back to the hotel and then we made our way into Stearns where we gave the kids a very special treat. One of Paul's favorite interests, as with all young kids, is to watch the trains as they pass by any where we go. So, we purchased tickets for all of us to ride the Big South Fork Scenic Railway. This open car train takes passengers along the rails used by the Stearns Mining Company to remove the coal from the mines in the area. Everyone enjoyed the time on the train and even liked walking through the town's museum (surprising for my kids)

An old horse carriage:

I didn't know this but the railroad ties were nailed to the ground with the dates stamped on the nail to know when to replace them:

Some areas of the ride brought you very close to the rock walls as well as the tunnel in one section

The scenery was fantastic:

And Paul was loving every minute of it especially at the stop we made to see a Coal Tipple still in place at the Blue Heron mines

But it was time to head back for the day:

sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

After reviewing the radar pictures for today and seeing the rain coverage for today, we left Stearns for Monticello KY where we had breakfast and then picked up KY-90 to US-127. This left us still under the threat of rain and knowing we would stay like that until Lexington, we then turned off onto KY-55 where we finally got out of the rain for the rest of the trip north in Campbellsville. We then picked up US-42 and I followed roads that I took in June when I went to the Brown County Ride. Charmayne also got another 50 miles under her belt giving her 150 for the weekend while Cheyenne didn't ride much.

Coming down a very nice set of twisties on US-127 to cross the Lake Cumberland Dam; I wish I had stopped on the other side but I wasn't that far ahead of the wife and feared she would lose me.

I'm not positive but I believe I logged about 800 miles over the weekend and am now a firm proponent of the Shinko tires on my bike. Although I am by no means as talented as some riders out there, I was able to push myself through most of the roads. Those tires stuck very well in the rain and never once made me think twice of what I was doing.
      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Riding, lots of quality family time and great scenery sounds like an ideal weekend.
        Thanks for sharing, Cowboy.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It was Steve, thank you.
          sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
          X