GS550E Project "Kafebiku"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you.

Hoping to finish it in the next two months.

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
    Beautiful results. Anxious to see the finished project. Looks like a lot of love and time is going into this job. Way to go.

Comment

Cleaned up the starter. My insulator broke when I was taking it apart. Couldn't find a replacement and was not interested in buying another starter. So I made my own using CAD and a 3D printer.

Comment

This is a perfect example of why 3d printers are going to revolutionize a lot of hobbies and save people a lot of money once the price goes down and the installed base gets bigger.

Comment

Nice work, Evo.
          What material is the new part?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Really helps when you need to test fit a part.

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
            This is a perfect example of why 3d printers are going to revolutionize a lot of hobbies and save people a lot of money once the price goes down and the installed base gets bigger.

Comment

Thank you.

It is called PLA

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              Nice work, Evo.
              What material is the new part?

Comment

Keep an eye on it during your first run, I think you would be better off using a higher temperature polymer than polylactic-acid.

Bike looks great by the way, following with interest

Comment

I have my worries but am interested to see how this PLA will hold up.

Originally posted by Toucan View Post
                  Keep an eye on it during your first run, I think you would be better off using a higher temperature polymer than polylactic-acid.

Bike looks great by the way, following with interest

Comment

Originally posted by Evo-Jet View Post
                    I have my worries but am interested to see how this PLA will hold up.
                    Evo, if you can get your bike to start and smell like sweet corn or pancakes...Bonus!

ABS, PLA, PVA...getting confused by all the different 3D printer filament types? Let us help you pick the right filament for your 3D printer.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I have no doubt that my bike will start. Pancakes and gasoline in the morning with my coffee.....perfect.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Evo, if you can get your bike to start and smell like sweet corn or pancakes...Bonus!

http://3dprintingforbeginners.com/filamentprimer/

Comment

Got a new fuel valve in.

Comment

My used headlight came in yesterday. It is from a 1981 gs650 from what I was told. Got a good deal on a complete light with no damage. The rust spots are not an issue as I will be powdercoating it black.

Comment

Didn't have much time to work on the bike this past couple of weeks. Managed to install the new stator and put on the cover.

Comment

The battery came in as well. Pretty crazy to think it only weight 1.46 Lbs (0.66 kg) and puts out 210 CCA. Amazon.com has them for just $130.

Comment

Been MIA for a little while with another project.

Snuck a quick revival of a 1978 BMW R80/7. Had to do a huge amount of work but kept it mostly original an uncut. Just waiting on the an electronic ignition for it and its ready for the final dialing of timing and carb sync.

Full build thread can be found here:
                                Hello all, I went ahead and bought a bike not doing much research before. It is a 1978 R80/7 with 69k miles on the clock. Went to the auction house to buy a car and ended up with this bike. Seeing it in this state made me feet quite bad for it and had to have it so I can bring it back to life...

Here is the final product. (Better pictures coming soon)

While waiting for the ignition I finished the engine and put it in the de-tabbed frame. Mocking up the rear sets from the 2007 GSXR1000. Almost a direct fit on the gear shift, just need to weld in one threaded tube. The splines are the same and the sifter rod is pretty much the correct length. The rear brake side will use an adapter plate bolted to existing threads on the frame (missing the picture).

Last edited by Evo-Jet; 12-06-2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X