Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost to have tank and side covers painted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost to have tank and side covers painted?

Hi,
    I was thinking of having a couple minor dents fixed and the tank/covers painted. Whats the going rate now days for this type of work? I wanting to have a partial chrome look on the tank. Would a chrome like paint work, or should I have part of the tank actually chromed?

Thank you

It really depends on your market, and the relationship you have with your painter.

Prep work is key to the finished product, and the more work going into that end of it will result in higher costs.

Around here, a tank and fender goes for around $500-600 CDN on a pretty basic job.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      Around here, a tank and fender goes for around $500-600 CDN on a pretty basic job.
      Holy moly that's a lot of money. I was thinking of having The Flame! repainted (and de-flamed) but this will make me think twice.

And in case you're thinking of suggesting I essay the job myself, I have made it to the age of 53 without ever having painted anything in my life and I intend to keep it that way.

Comment

That's the west coast for you. Most everything is about 30% more expensive than the rest of the country.

However, after seeing what people in the SF Bay area are being charged for what are basic necessities and services, I'm complaining less these days.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Mom View Post
          Hi,
          I was thinking of having a couple minor dents fixed and the tank/covers painted. Whats the going rate now days for this type of work? I wanting to have a partial chrome look on the tank. Would a chrome like paint work, or should I have part of the tank actually chromed?

Thank you
          The last bike I had repainted 25 some years ago was a Kawi H-2 triple and it was brought in semi finished...in other words I smoothed it all and figured they'd re-smooth it better...and they did! I supplied the HoK paint that I wanted and they prepped, sprayed and buffed. For the tank, side covers and tail I believe it cost $190 and that didn't include the paint I'd bought - roughly $125 more{ quart- base color & pearl paint/ 2 quarts medium temp reducer/thinner}. This shop does really fine work and my finished pieces were no exception.

As far as I can figure you'd have to get the whole tank chrome plated{$$$} since I'm sure doing half a tank is impossible... your best option is to use chrome tape, which can be had from a sign making store/company.

Comment

This is one of those areas that you (should) get what you pay for. If you want a $200 paint job, you can get one, but it'll look nothing like a paint job from a real pro that charges more..sometimes way more with the prep and finish work that commands those prices. My paint jobs started at about $800 for a tank, side covers, and a tail section, with no stripes. Up to over $1,600 or more for a paint job like on a GS1000S. I charged over $2,000 for a Honda RC30, but it was insanely complicated. If you want the best materials, you'll pay more. If you want a show finish, you'll pay more. if all you want is to have it sprayed, with no finish work, and you're good with that, then yes, you can have them done pretty affordably. There are so many levels of paint work. You need to be very specific with the painter with what your needs are.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry View Post
              I have made it to the age of 53 without ever having painted anything in my life and I intend to keep it that way.
              That's the way I feel...skip the brush and go straight for the roller!

Seriously, for me it depends on how long you intend to keep the bike. Is it yours forever, no plans to ever sell it? Then I would go big. So you can look at it every day and be happy.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have made it to the age of 53 without ever having painted anything in my life and I intend to keep it that way.
                Wow, is that even possible? I couldn't go a month without painting something.
                Enjoy it way too much.

Did you ever have crayons when you were a kid?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Wow, is that even possible? I couldn't go a month without painting something.
                  Enjoy it way too much.

Did you ever have crayons when you were a kid?
                  It's funny you should mention that. My mother once told me that, when I was a pre-schooler, if I was colouring and went outside the lines I would get so upset I would become sick. I have no memory of that but it may explain my dread of painting!

Comment

You stayed in the lines? I never would have thought of doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      You stayed in the lines? I never would have thought of doing that.
                      Remind me not to get you to paint anything for me.

Comment

Remind me not to get you to paint anything for me.
                        You obviously haven't seen my bikes.

Comment

There is a twin to that bike in QC for sale for 350
                          unless you really need custom paint to be happy maybe the decent oem painted parts ooff a cheap donor bike would do.

You alos get a parts bike outta the deal.

Comment

I can paint models just fine....anything bigger bothers me and my ability, or lack there of, for the 1 to 1 scale stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X