Relocating kickstand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocating kickstand...

Anyone have a good suggestion on how to relocate the kickstand above the pipes so it will stop dragging the ground in hard turns? Is there a universal one somewhere that can just be bolted to the frame somewhere higher?

'81 GS750

Why not replace the spring that holds it up?

From Parts Outlaw
    SPRING

09443-17008-XC0

$2.86
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 08-01-2015, 11:25 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

may need to add some length....
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Before you change the spring just check the mounting plate for wear at the point that the spring connects to the plate mounted on the frame. This often becomes worn due to it being a softer material than the toughened spring. If it's worn an amount of weld, and reforming will do the job.

The side stand (kick stand) mounting plate should simply unbolt from the frame without any serious dismantling.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          http://m.ebay.com/itm/360964033541

may need to add some length....
          So what keep that thing from spinning and the bike ending up on the ground?

I'm with Cowboy, get some stiffer springs. Progressive have so HD springs that work well those rear shocks. It has been a while now, but you can ask Chef 1366 he used to have a set on an 1980 1100L (16V). I think that is the way to go for bigger guys.

Also about hard cornering, there is a limit to how far these bikes can go over.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Why not replace the spring that holds it up?

From Parts Outlaw
            SPRING

09443-17008-XC0

$2.86
            Oh, cuz its not sagging... The bikes been lowered so the bracket actually hits the ground in a left turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe79 View Post
              Before you change the spring just check the mounting plate for wear at the point that the spring connects to the plate mounted on the frame. This often becomes worn due to it being a softer material than the toughened spring. If it's worn an amount of weld, and reforming will do the job.

The side stand (kick stand) mounting plate should simply unbolt from the frame without any serious dismantling.
              Thank you...8)

Comment

Thank you all for your input!

Comment

your stand bracket is likemine, there is enough room to slide it towards the center of bike & redrill the 2 mounting holes. You may have to cut or grind off the excess bracket that will stick off the edge of the mounting pad. hope it works.

Comment

Working...
                  X