Best all in one bike or too heavy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best all in one bike or too heavy?

There have been a few consistent criticisms of the K1600 but they are mostly minor.

If you had to have only one bike, is this it?

An epic 24 hour torture test of the BMW K 1600 GTL Exclusive from MotorcycleTV.us. The most comprehensive video test on earth. You'll learn everything about ...

Admittedly, even used, they cost as much as a bunch of bikes together.

A more, 'sporting', possibly illegal, ride along with the K1600.

Спецверсия K1600GT - K1600GT Sport отличается от обычной джити специальной окраской, заниженным стеклом и отделкой сидений со строчками. По сути, тот же самы...

I suppose the new Ducati Multi strada may be more of an all round bike, but I just like a trail bike for off-road. For everything else? K1600?

Comment

But it misses my possible track day outing...

For yooz.

K1600GT, bmw, onboard, cam, camera, gopro, helmet, track, race, Bike, Motorcycle, Racing, motorrad

Comment

If it is going to be BMW, and "all-rounder" is truly the operating theme, nothing touches the R1200/1250GS models.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Except anything else half their weight.

Only one bike and it's going to be something quick and nimble. KTM 690 with dirt and Supermoto wheels maybe.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            If it is going to be BMW, and "all-rounder" is truly the operating theme, nothing touches the R1200/1250GS models.
            Tough to argue with that. Not the motor of the Ducati multi strada but the GS BMW bikes are so much more capable off road.

In my special world of what is cool I do have to say that a world class motor like the 1600 six is an undeniable draw.

I'll get an XR650 and leave the rest to the 1600.

Of course the true alternative is to have more than one bike. 1600... mmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Except anything else half their weight.

Only one bike and it's going to be something quick and nimble. KTM 690 with dirt and Supermoto wheels maybe.
              My buddies think I've been drinking too much rakija but as you mentioned the Tards... I have been looking into which dual sport type bike makes the best supermoto. If you don't mind single cylinder slow, a supermoto type bike may be a real all-round alternative.

The XR650L seems like a decent enough place to start. But almost all of the dual sport type bikes have quite a following on the intranets and youtube.

I had a Blackbird XX and while I didn't like the bent riding position that motor was addictive. Goldwings are even more monstrous than the K1600 by quite a bit.

Standard and naked bikes are becoming popular again. Maybe one will have a killer motor and not a lot of knee bend.

A B-king and or K1200 are just out for me.

I guess I just don't mind a heavier bike as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecklund View Post

If you don't mind single cylinder slow, a supermoto type bike may be a real all-round alternative.
                Single cylinder bikes need not be slow, my orange 450 scares the **** out of me daily. The front wheel is rarely on the ground, it corners incredibly well.

They are only slow if you are talking about big highways or carrying a bunch of camping gear and a fat chick.

Comment

This bike is slow:

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    I got to race motocross in the late 70s for a couple of seasons. We went to a trials competition to see what it was about. I admit thinking before I went that it must be for those that couldn't handle the speed of motocross. Wow, was I wrong. Incredible control and discipline.

That kind of slow is good.

Your point about your 450 being more than enough is well taken. I rode the wheels off a 150 first, from Juba to Kampala, and then found a rare 250 I used until we got evac'd.

I even saw a conversion on one of Leno's videos to do a 700 single conversion of an Intruder to a 'scrambler' type bike. And a 600cc dual sport bike would be more than enough for anything but the highway.

But in the good ole US of A its nice to take advantage of the big fast roads with a big fast bike. Heavy schmevie; but then I like old Caddies too.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ecklund;2210673]There have been a few consistent criticisms of the K1600 but they are mostly minor.

NO.
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

[QUOTE=derwood;2211135]
                        Originally posted by Ecklund View Post
                        There have been a few consistent criticisms of the K1600 but they are mostly minor.

NO.
                        Well it wasn't really a poll, but at least you are efficient and unambiguous.

Might I ask what bike might be 'the one' for you?

Or perhaps why the BMW isn't versus something that might be.

Frankly I think the real answer might be more than one bike... you?

Comment

Put your di*ks away boys, this p*ssing contest is over!! Lol..
                          Ya gotta be able to tour, ride like a hooligan, ride around town and be able to take the Misses with you...this is the bike!

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by derwood
                            I don't think there is such a thing as an all rounder, "a jack of all trades is a master of none."

But if i had to have just one bike, it would be a 93 to 95 CBR900RR,(gotta have round headlights) light,(400ish lbs) quick and nimble, all the things a motorcycle is supposed to be. Not tons of power(125 @ crank?), but ample, just does everything really well. The easiest bike ever to ride rapidly and comfortable enough to go all day. It's even got a trunk that will hold 6 beers plus tools.

Not the greatest off road machine, I prefer roads. Also I would then have to use a car for 2-up touring, but I'd rather solo.

ps. they not as ricky racer as they look.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41341[/ATTACH]
                            Its tough to argue against the performance for value of a Japanese sport bike. The technology, fit and finish, reliability and level of function that you get for the money is untouchable.

I was just thinking that you could get 80% or more of the performance of a sport bike, not have to ride it like a pretzel and even have good two up seating when required. I'm with you on the solo thing; but life... well you know. If you could live with the weight penalty that K1600 seems to cover a lot of area in motorcycling riding/use.

I also buy that we can leave off roading to the more dedicated bikes. I have to say though that the 160hp multistrada is not without its appeal.

Tough to argue with your idea of a low weight, high performance, relatively low cost ride. Riding position is just out for me.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              Put your di*ks away boys, this p*ssing contest is over!! Lol..
                              Ya gotta be able to tour, ride like a hooligan, ride around town and be able to take the Misses with you...this is the bike!

Maybe I'm developing a BMW fetish I don't know, but to me this bike gets very close to being, if not the do it all, then the do the most bike.

The K1600, especially the GTL, just has lower foot pegs, taller bars and all kinds of doo dads that extend its usefulness.

I've been doing a fair amount of work to get my knee/s to function better. I'll have to see how much of a sporting type motorcycle knee bend I can tolerate when I get home.

The other issue I have conveniently ignored here is price. Even used K1600 are two large bags of money. The R1200 versions of your bike in the states are getting down right thrifty.

Lots of plastic on a bike can be bad. But that is the only way the K1600 is made, right now. Despite its weight it seems to handle very well. And that motor... Wow. With its riding position it does seem to cover a lot, if not the most, area of motorcycling.

Of course the motor in the R1300 and the lack of a fairing make it a very close competitor.

Man, you keep posting really good pics of that thing and its just killin me. Very nice...

Comment

Working...
                              X