No announcement yet.

My '79 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed the shocks last night. Well, almost. Top shock nut stripped the thread when I took it off. I plan on running a smaller die down it and putting a new nut on. However, the right side lower shock mount seems to be shorter than the other 3. Is this normal? Any suggestions on how to make it equal length? And are acorn nuts necessary here, or can I just use a regular nut?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
      However, the right side lower shock mount seems to be shorter than the other 3. Is this normal? Any suggestions on how to make it equal length?
      Still looking for a solution to this. Is this stud removable and I can just replace it? Should I try making some kind of sleeve to screw onto the stud that's there to extend it? Maybe drill out the center and put a smaller stud in the larger stud?

I was holding off on pulling the carbs, but I think I'm going to. I know the bike runs, so might as well go all in. I was holding back so I didn't ruin the rubber boots, but if they rip I'll just replace them I guess

Comment

Some good info on shock stud repair in this thread.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Some good info on shock stud repair in this thread.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ar-shock-mount
          I've looked into that. I plan on running a die down the top mount, but the bottom mount: 1) there's no material left to run the die down, and 2) It's on the swing arm, so I'm not sure if the same options would apply. Using the old one as a sleeve is what I'm thinking of doing, providing I have the means to permanently attach the new bolt.

Comment

Had a lot of things happen here lately, so the bike hit the back burner hard. BUT! It's at my new place now, and I have more time and money than before to throw at it :-P. I've replaced the kick stand the PO shortened with a OEM one; I also installed a center stand. I've got a spare seat to cut up, and ideas are swirling in my head. Right now the carbs are off it for dipping. Hoping this clears up my cylinder 3 issue and she purrs nicely once back together.

Here's my plans: With the bars I have on it, I feel pretty comfortable (although I haven't been on it long), so I'm going to work with them. I'm planning on swapping the mirrors for some bar-ends. I want to move the tail forward and shorten/eliminate the rear fender. This will also require a smaller seat (hence the spare to cut up!). While sitting on it, my feet naturally pull up to the passenger pegs, so I'm debating on making linkages to use them for rearsets. Just not sure if going that far with it will work, but we'll see. It currently has factory gauges, but that may change; they stick at the moment, so if I can free them up, they may stay.

Comment

Rebuild kits for all master cylinders and calipers are on their way, along with stainless brake lines . I also ordered new carb boots and bowl gaskets. I already have the o-rings and am slowly working on cleaning the carbs.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Carbs are done and the bike is running. Cylinder 3 now fires! But, it's still on the lean side; some slight popping at idle and hesitation on take off (only in gear; RPMs jump fine in neutral). Looks like it's time to check the timing and valve clearances.

I pulled my tach cable out, to see if it was the reason my tach wasn't reading right; cable looked good and spun freely. So, the fact that both the tach and the speedo are affected, I'm thinking my gauges are sticking. I'm gonna try spraying some WD-40 into the drives and hope that frees them up; otherwise, I'll be looking into another set of gauges for it.

Comment

You're on the right track on the instruments, but use Deep Creep or Tri Flow instead of WD 40

Take the gauges off and tip them so the connections are pointing up. Squirt a bit of lube in, then wait 5 minutes or so and give it another squirt. Leave it that way for a couple of hours and reinstall

If that doesn't work, you may have to open them up, clean and lube the gears with a very light grease
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Got all the lights wired up today. Still waiting for brake parts.

I sprayed some Boeshield T9 into the instruments. It's a penetrating lubricant. So far, no change. Hoping I don't have to take them apart, but it's starting to look that way.

Put my bar-end mirrors on. Nice to actually be able to see behind me! Hoping they hold out, as I like the look of them too.

She's getting closer to being ready

Comment

How she sits now:

Comment

Took her for her first real outing Saturday. Rode up to Daytona for bike week! She did great going up there; rode nicely, plenty of power, good brakes. Coming back though, one of my coils dropped out. Managed to limp her home; a 130 mile ride on just 2 cylinders! Will start troubleshooting the coil later this week, but I"m thinking of just biting the bullet and going with a Dyna system.

Comment

Wish I someone knew this. You drove right by me. You could have stopped by my house and picked up a used coil. If you still need one let me know.
                          David
                          1998 Suzuki Bandit
                          1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                          1978 GS1000 - gone
                          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Took her for her first real outing Saturday. Rode up to Daytona for bike week! She did great going up there; rode nicely, plenty of power, good brakes. Coming back though, one of my coils dropped out. Managed to limp her home; a 130 mile ride on just 2 cylinders! Will start troubleshooting the coil later this week, but I"m thinking of just biting the bullet and going with a Dyna system.
                            There's plenty of used GS coils on ebay, almost all will work.
                            PS: Taking that shower curtain rod off the front end will help the looks, even in FL.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

That bike has points, if it is stock. They could be worn, or it could have a bad condenser. Take a look before you decide on the coil. The wires are long enough for you to switch the 1&4 plug wires with the 2&3, and you can switch the wires from the points on the low tension side of the coil. If the same two cylinders are dead, it isn't the coil, it is upstream of the coils. If the other two cylinders are dead, it is the coils or plug wires.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Where are you at bro, i was there on the sporty!
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X