Spun bearing sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spun bearing sound?

I have 1990 ZX-10 Tomcat that has a high pitched whine that increases in frequency with rpm. This bike has plain bearings which I've not had before. I've read that if you wheelie these bikes high enough the 3rd rod gets starved of oil and will spin the bearing. So, I'm wondering if this could be the source of the sound or ?

Thanks,
    Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

the balancer shaft tensioner - is located on the lower right side of the engine - that is a noise maker and an oil leaker - and it is known to break - not hard to repair.

you loosen the lock and rotate with a flat blade screwdriver - it will make that noise go away.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Ok, I've searched youtube and found that a spun bearing makes a very obvious "ticking" sound so that's definitely not it. It's gotta be some kind of bearing or something.

the balancer shaft tensioner - is located on the lower right side of the engine - that is a noise maker and an oil leaker - and it is known to break - not hard to repair.

you loosen the lock and rotate with a flat blade screwdriver - it will make that noise go away.
      I looked around and there is no chain or tensioner that I can see. The only chain around that bottom end is the alternator/generator drive chain. Is that what you are referring to?
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Google "1990 ZX10 balance shaft adjustment".
        Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

Comment

I'll give that a try once I have it all back together. Thanks for the pointer Killer Canary!
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I belive the Concours 1000 or ZG1000 is based off the same engine design. I had a similar squeel and fixed it with the same technique as trip mentioned. I remember having a squeel issue... Quick adjustment and boom done. If I recall I fixed it while it was running.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
            X