Michelin Pilot Activ on GS 850G rear???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michelin Pilot Activ on GS 850G rear???

Maybe my inquiry got lost in that other thread?????

Any experience with the Michelin Pilot Activ on an '81 GS 850G???? Especially if I keep the Bridgestone S11 front tire???? Big expense for a whole set unless some folk did this & that combo really sucks. I guess if it's horrible I can order the Mich front later. I make it a habit not to do any corner stuffing, or other asphalt silliness.

Any opinions/experiences appreciated. I haven't mixed tires since the 70s which were so close to the 60s that it didn't matter.

Thanks,

DH

I've found the 850 really forgiving of whatever tyres I've mixed on it. I also found it really plays nicely with a radial on the rear.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

It's doubtful you'd ever notice the difference if you mixed brands any of the currently available modern design tires on a GS.

Even with the mix you're proposing, you won't die or anything; it just won't be ideal. You'll likely be perfectly happy, but you'd be even happier with a new front. In other words, you'll feel a noticeable positive difference immediately when you put on a new front tire.

Personally, I will only mix old and new tires under specific circumstances:
      - No older than two or three years <== check your date codes
      - Fronts not scalloped, not noisy <== fronts don't wear the same as rears
      - Both tires a "new design"

What I mean by the last point is that there are several tires still being manufactured or available that are made the same way they have been since the '80s. For example, the Bridgestone Spitfire is a very old design, while Bridgestone's BT45 is their modern design.

And by "design", I'm not talking about the tread pattern, which is mostly irrelevant -- I'm talking about the way they're constructed. Tires and tire manufacturing are far, far better now than they were in the 80s and 90s. Modern tires are far lighter, longer-wearing, grippier, and better handling than they were in ye olden days.

Some of the "modern" tires available for vintage bikes include:
      Michelin Pilot Activ
      Bridgestone BT45
      Avon RoadRider
      Pirelli Sport Demon
      Continental GO
      Continental Classic Attack (supposedly an actual radial, but very limited size range - no 17" tires)
      Shinko 230 TourMaster
      Dunlop Elite 3 (limited sizes; no 17" rear)

These all grip fantastically wet or dry, but the biggest difference Iv'e noticed is that modern design tires behave themselves better as they wear. They're far more consistent in handling and and feel beginning to end. "Old Design" tires tend to turn evil as they wear.

Some of the "old design" tires may still be available, but there's no point to using them when there are modern design tires available:
      Bridgestone Spitfire S11
      Metzeler (Lasertec, ME series)
      Dunlop 501 and 404
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks bwringer. That was a GREAT exposition! Thank you.

In the end I have opted to go with getting the Michelin rear to start. If it feels OK then I'll stop there. I seem to be aging quicker than I wish and may not even be able to wear that one out before I hang it up with all but minimal riding & probably would have to jump down to a scooter or much smaller/lighter ride. Did about 100 miles yesterday and even tho the ride was broken up with several stops, I was beat. Not as much fun unless it's a short hop these days. Also less willing to spend a lot on retirement funding.

I'l post info as to the results after a bit.

Thanks,
        all,

DH

Comment

Working...
        X