Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankenstein Engine!!! Help!!!

Hello again,

If you guys remember I had broken a few bolts in my head 2 months ago during a rebuild of my 1979 GS1000.

I have CV carbs on the engine from the PO.
    I just got a new head a month or two ago from someone off here. It mounted just fine and got the valves done, I just cleaned the carbs and was swapping over the boots. This is where I ran into problems, The ID of my new head is 34mm and my old head is 30mm.

Can I just get new boots that fit or am I screwed? I would very much like not to rip that apart again if possible.

you probably need new boots anyway since those cv's are probably bs34's. the 30mm port sounds like it would have been for vm28's.

Comment

Ya, Funny thing is I used those boots with the CV carbs for probably 2000 miles with no problems on my old head.

So next question, does anyone have 4 boots that I can buy?

Comment

Z1 Enterprises (click link)

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, if I can get away with some that are used I'd rather not spend $125 on new rubber. :/

Comment

what's the id of the boots? is there an issue with the boot bolt holes lining up? unless they are old, shrunk, hard and cracking, I would look to see if they line up with the bolt holes in the heads. what cv carbs do you have?

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have the BS34's I haven't measured the ID of the boots though. The holes don't line up or else I don't think I would have check the ID of the intake on the head.

Comment

It was the same thing with the 79 - 80 850s, and the change from VM carbs to CVs. So, what you need is a bastard set of boots to allow the fitment of 80-onwards carbs on a 79 engine/head.
                There will be some boots out there that will allow it, with all the permutations of carbs and heads there were - a combo of boots from other makes and models will get it.
                It probably won't be an easy search though, if you're trying to find used ones in good condition, to keep the cost down.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X