Central PA noob reporting in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central PA noob reporting in

The name's Jeremy, I'm 38 years old, welder/fabricator by trade, & I have ZERO idea what I'm doing LOL. If this was a 2 stroke I would be fine, but this is a whole new ball 'o wax. I got tired of building cars and always wanted to build a bike so here I am LOL. The short version on the bike, it came from a friend of a friend. Guy one bought it as a basket case and let it sit. His brother bought it, assembled it, and let it stored in his garage for almost 13 yrs. On with the pics! Here is my FREE 1981Gs650g with 7500/original miles......

Welcome. The price was right, and for a cool bike that I suspect it will clean up nicely. Good luck and enjoy.

Growing up, family vacation was spent at the Pine Creek Valley, which according to the map doesnt look terribly far from you. Nice riding in rural PA. (Hopefully) were heading there in a few weeks for a cycle trip.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Definitely tons of nice riding spots around here! Since acquiring it I've cleaned out the tank and carbs, added new battery and plugs, aaaaaaand nothing. Can't get it to fire. It kinda wants to but....nope.

Comment

Don't have time to help much now, but the answers you seek are here somewhere:

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Definitely go thru the info Tkent listed. The carbs and intake system will certainly need to be gone thru and properly cleaned, valve clearances checked, etc. Mine sat for 12 years and the carbs were full of green gunk.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Found out earlier I didn't clean the carbs good enough. Cyl #1 plug was wet, 2-3-4 were bone dry. Gonna tear down the carbs this weekend and run them thru the ultrasonic cleaner.

Comment

Nice. You should also do the o rings while they are apart. Check out Cycle O Rings. The owner is a member here. That and fresh intake boots made a huge difference in rideability in mine. Yours (I think) will also have o rings at the intake boot / head connection as well.
              sigpic

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Well while starting the OFFICIAL tear down of the carbs for cleaning, we spotted a BIG problem as to why I wasn't getting fuel......
                Doesn't help when all four carbs have the float needle installed upside down. Apparently a past owner was oblivious when reassembling these.

Comment

Originally posted by Duttry98 View Post
                  Doesn't help when all four carbs have the float needle installed upside down. Apparently a past owner was oblivious when reassembling these.
                  I cant tell by the photo, is that the pointy tapered end, or the spring loaded plunger end?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It's the pointy end, supposed to be going the other way in the seat. IDK who did it prior to me owning it but...... they "tried"....... and failed LOL.

Comment

After getting back to home base today I decided to finish up my bar swap. I wasn't digging the "lay down" crotch rocket style bars that came on it so I drilled/notched a set my neighbor gave me. I think they look a ton better.

Comment

P.revious O.wner S.yndrome rears its ugly head again.
                        Just keep reminding yourself it was free.
                        Welcome to the site.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome! Yes, the bars look WAY better. I had to take a good look at the intro pic....that looked hideous.

Good job on the carbs....and thanks for posting pics.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                            Welcome! Yes, the bars look WAY better. I had to take a good look at the intro pic....that looked hideous.

Good job on the carbs....and thanks for posting pics.

Ed
                            Thank you sir! Made some progress last night...., freshened up the rear brakes, learned the front MC needs rebuilt/replaced after trying to bleed the front brakes, left fork tube needs new seals... might as well do both *shrugs*.

Comment

Update....
                              Got the carbs back on last night and all I got was a fuel dumping out on to my crank case and a hellacious backfire thru the carb(s).

Comment

Working...
                              X