Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Done reading about the GS's, now I got one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done reading about the GS's, now I got one!

I'm a Kawasaki guy who finally has a reason to post instead of just browsing! I picked this up over the holiday weekend.:

The owner had passed away and I got it from his estate. The key's were never found, but luckily he had written it in the appropriate spot in the owners manual. I'll get some keys cut for it tomorrow and begin assessing what needs to be done. It was last licensed in 1998, but they thought it had been out a few times after that. We'll see!

I owned several GS's in the 80's! GS750L, GS1100L and a GS1000E (Loved that one!)

John
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2015, 10:58 PM.

Whoa that is a nice one , congrats, well done��

Comment

Nice score. It looks great.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That is a beauty. In case you haven't already found it http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Nice looking bike!

Comment

Welcome to the site.
            Great looking bike for your re-entry into the wonderful world of GS.
            If you have been browsing you will know that it can be beneficial to add your location and bike to your signature.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nice looking bike.

Can you tell us what you have there for a track system on your garage floor?

Comment

That 750 is in really nice shape.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                  Nice looking bike.

Can you tell us what you have there for a track system on your garage floor?
                  That's not a track system on my floor, it's my trailer. I had just brought it home.

Comment

That's a nice-looking bike. Good luck with the assessment.
                    1978 GS1000E
                    1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
                    1981 GS1100E
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1982 GS1000SZ
                    1983 GS1100ED
                    1983 GS1100ESD
                    1978 Honda CB750K
                    1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

I was looking under model info and found the GS750ES, but mine is clearly marked GS750EZ. Can anyone shed a little light on this designation?

John

Comment

Just a guess.
                        EZ was '82 and the ES started in '83?
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Latest update: Got it running off a bottle. Carb T and/or cross overs leak like a sieve! Never seen that before. Thoughts/Experience of others?

Got it sorted out on the model! Got the brakes bled, I was worried it might be difficult with those anti-dive dohickeys!

John
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2015, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I have one of these as well and love it to high heaven. Much smoother than my '82 850G. I put over 100 miles on mine today. 51.5 mpg's here in the Black Hills.
                            These bikes get a real bum rap here due to the plain bearing engine and former top-end oiling problems (and, non-shim adjusters).
                            You need to get all the carb O-rings from Robert Barr and some Berryman's and totally go through the carbs.

How many miles? Tank rust? Set the valves (screw adjusters). Where are you located? I would pick up another of these '82's in a heartbeat.

Edit: Perhaps the most annoying air box in motorcycling to install and remove carbs.
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2015, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeninamuraII View Post
                              Latest update: Got it running off a bottle. Carb T and/or cross overs leak like a sieve! Never seen that before. Thoughts/Experience of others?

Got it sorted out on the model! Got the brakes bled, I was worried it might be difficult with those anti-dive dohickeys!

John
                              Generally the Tees between carbs have sealing rings that may have deteriorated .There are a number of carb rebuild/clean tutorials here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ with good pictures of the T sealing.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X