Why do my forks knock over bumps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do my forks knock over bumps?

So when I hit descent bumps my forks knock. Why is this? I rebuild them to spec with new progressive springs. Any Ideas!?! Thanks.

Did you set your "sag" properly?

How much of what weight oil did you put in?

Did you check the condition of the bushings while the forks were apart?
    (They might have a bit of wear on them, letting them move around.)

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My first thought was loose steering head bearings.

Comment

Also a good possibility.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I will check all those things. I may not have gotten all the air out when I rebuilt them too. That's a possibility. I'll check them out this winter after riding season. I should probably replace the stem bearings anyways.

Comment

There is no need to "get all the air out", as in applying a vacuum to the forks. You simply don't need to add any additional air when using proper springs. However, you DO need to make sure they are preloaded enough to limit your "sag" to 20-25% of available travel. In the case of most GS forks, that will be about 1 inch of sag.

If the noise happens to be loose steering bearings, your "riding season" might be shorter than you think. Besides being a source of noise, loose steering bearings can do some really strange things to the handling of a bike. Hope you don't crash.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Sure its the forks and not something else rattling and your thinking you hear the forks?? Take some tape and put it across the back of the gauges and anything else that may be subject to rattling and take it for a ride on a good bumpy street and see what it sounds like then.

Because we are moving and wind plays a role in things, we often hear something and its not from where we "think" we are hearing it from.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I read somewhere, progressive front springs can knock due to the "progressivness of the spring" Though I would heed some of the other advice here and look at some other things as well, steering head bearings, wheel bearings (had a bad on one my bike once that would knock when I hit a bump), the internal slider bushings in the front. Also check the brake mounts and make sure one of them hasn't come loose. Just FYI, alot of us on this forum use straight rate fork springs from Sonicsprings.com. Check them out.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well I'll revive this one. Been a while but I just re did my forks. I lengthened the spacer on top of the spring a bit and the problem has mainly gone away.....if I hit some really nasty bumps it will still knock but it's better than it was.

Comment

I had a momentary panic when I noticed a severe clunk when coming to a hard stop. Turned out it was my speedo rocking in the mount, rubbers were AWOL.

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
                    Well I'll revive this one. Been a while but I just re did my forks. I lengthened the spacer on top of the spring a bit and the problem has mainly gone away.....if I hit some really nasty bumps it will still knock but it's better than it was.

Comment

If its coming while you're under braking, you are probably bottoming out the forks hard, and then the sound is either just the spring and slider "crashing" or as mentioned something else in the front end or somewhere moving and making the noise.

Comment

So I rebuild my forks today. New 15 w fork oil and I found out the put the progressive springs upside down and may have had the incorrect amount of oil in so ill let you know when I get to drive it again.

Comment

Just saw this thread and had to go back and look at the posting dates. You sure take your time fixing things. lol
                          GSRick
                          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

It was an annoyance not a necessity. The seals finally started leaking so I took the opportunity to do the rest and investigate a bit.

Comment

Interesting thread. Good pointers too, as I have yet to rebuild my forks. (Doh!)

Yes, Rick -- some of us take a long time to complete tasks. Lol

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                              X