No announcement yet.

Why do my forks knock over bumps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sounds familiar. Both the knocking (when braking hard) and the time taken for tasks...
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      Interesting thread. Good pointers too, as I have yet to rebuild my forks. (Doh!)

Yes, Rick -- some of us take a long time to complete tasks. Lol

Ed
      What!!? Ed...
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        What!!? Ed...
        Crazy, huh?

It's so easy to procrastinate...but then again, I'm also busy doing "honey-do list" around the house. Okay, okay...I know I can only use that excuse for so long...

Here's my projected plan:

1. Move the Axle below the springs on my collapse-able trailer (So it's easier to load the bike)
        2. I need to load the bike to get it to the Bike Shop for welding job on the seat frame area (I don't want to do this w/forks removed)
        3. Then I can proceed w/forks; including getting new fork springs (Progressive or Sonic as Steve explained in post#9 here)

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          Crazy, huh?

It's so easy to procrastinate...but then again, I'm also busy doing "honey-do list" around the house. Okay, okay...I know I can only use that excuse for so long...

Here's my projected plan:

1. Move the Axle below the springs on my collapse-able trailer (So it's easier to load the bike)
          2. I need to load the bike to get it to the Bike Shop for welding job on the seat frame area (I don't want to do this w/forks removed)
          3. Then I can proceed w/forks; including getting new fork springs (Progressive or Sonic as Steve explained in post#9 here)

Ed
          1. NO, axle is moved to the top of the springs, it is already under the springs. Take the fenders off first, you'll have to remount them one you redo the axle.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

ok so I solved this problem randomly today..........yes it's been a while since I've posted.....it wasn't the forks at all. It was my damn gas cap! This has been annoying me for years!

Comment

on a side note.....I was unable to find a part number in the parts fiche for my bike but where do I get a gasket for my gas cap? I eBay searched and it comes right up as fitting a bunch of bikes. Thanks

Comment

Gas cap? You couldn't tell the difference between that and forks? Oh well...it took me awhile to figure out my brake pads were rattling, but i would have guessed bushings, except Steve said it right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  ..., except Steve said it right away.
                  But did you notice the date of the original post?

Originally posted about 2 1/2 years ago, the original poster resurrected it yesterday.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Seriously. I mean I didn’t tear the whole bike apart due to laziness but it’s bizzare how it throws the sound forward

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      But did you notice the date of the original post?

Originally posted about 2 1/2 years ago, the original poster resurrected it yesterday.

Yes, I did, but I always appreciate it when the OP comes back with the answer. All kinds of threads turns up in a search but too few conclude with the solution that the OP used (from all the "possibles") that others can try.

Thanks,thkbaron.
                      Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-30-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X