Gauge/meter faces II - OEM restoration or totally custom choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge/meter faces II - OEM restoration or totally custom choices

I posted one of the links in the old "gauge faces" thread, but I'll repost/restart here;
    1) the origonal thread was for a company that no longer does that service
    2) it's a long thread, so this one will be easier to read thru...unless it gets to be a mile long too}

So, some folks here are or may still want to reface their gauge/meter faces- I happen to have 2 places that can accomplish this for you so I'm paying back to the forum by posting them- I have no part of either place, I'm just passing the info along to those who'd be interested.

*Option 1 / OEM look gauges-
    Theres nothing better, to some folks, like having your cycle gone thru to look like she did the 1st day she saw light out of the crate, but after all the paint, chrome, and everything else on the frame is done- you hop on for a ride and spy the untouched and faded gauges and sigh...well, not any more!
    "Diablo cycles" can take any given meter face and make a decal that goes over it to make it look new. For the sake of those who are unfamiliar- there are basicly two types of gauges- back lit {transparent numbering}and side lit {opaque paint throughout}. This place says it can reproduce either.
    To explain the process here so you understand what it'll take to to do this up front- one carefully takes apart their gauges, sands off the old faded face/numbers, and once done, applies the new decal to the face. Reassemble everything and your done. There are a few things that are needed along the way to do it right - I'm just currently describing the very basic application and not the whole process....at least not yet.
    I have a set of '83 GS550L meter faces {tach/speedo/gas} that will be getting the OEM look treatment - I will also send, for their added research/ability, my '80 GS850G tach, speedo{85mph} and gas faces since they're already apart and maybe my later model 140mph speedo and tach {sans gas read out on it} too. The problem with that last set is I don't know the exact year/model that it's off of - for their reference {or mine}.

*Now for option 2...."totally wild looking gauges"-
    Some of us here have, or will have, custom cycles...so a stock looking gauge face simply won't do...and I get that{so do some you}. With this vendor you can have just that, a one off gauge face that's all yours. Pin up, custom color oem, or totally radical. The basic process is the same -removal of the oem colors on the face and replacement of a custom decal- so that's the same, it's just anything you can come up with...anything - X rated as well. "Speed gauge customs" can offer you whatever you want. He said he's done a few Suzi gauge faces but gave no exact list. This place also offers an LED back light option for choice of back lighting colors - even different needle pointer color if it's possible with your gauge....GS Suzis don't readily offer that capability, but it could be done, possibly, with some tweeking.

So, these two sources are active and available.....Roughly $50 ea gauge {I think} for SGC and $25 pr for DC...not bad either way.
    I plan on the Diablo route, but might tinker with the other version too if I can ever nail down just what exactly I'd want{chuckle}.

My concerns for either are-
    -how long until they fade
    -how well do they stay put
    -if using a full transparent face, how will it look being lit up...oem lights aren't really set up to light everything well from behind.
    {edit} -you will note a lack of Suzi GS gauge faces on Diablo- I hope to hel pthem fix that as little as I can with what I have - time might aid in other years.models being available as more are actually done there.

Well, there you have it- viable gauge face options. Hope this helps.
    Links-

http://www.diablocycle.com/-Gauge-Restoration-Decals/

Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2015, 11:35 AM.

How soon will you be sending your gauges to Diablo? I want to do this also. Post up some pics when you get them back.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Thanks for the post, interesting stuff. I too would like to know how long they last in the sun ect...but they must have some sort of UV protection for sure.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
        How soon will you be sending your gauges to Diablo? I want to do this also. Post up some pics when you get them back.
        My '80 GS/G set is ready....my '83 GS/L set is ready...not my unknown year set though. Give me the week and I hope to send it all to them by Saturday - hopefully.{depends on how the trim rings come off}

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Thanks for the post, interesting stuff. I too would like to know how long they last in the sun ect...but they must have some sort of UV protection for sure.
          I don't know...they can be clear coated after installation, but I question the UV thing. The OEMs don't possess that and look how long they tend to last. Cycles that sit out all day will fair less than those who sit out less - but ya can't count riding time!

Comment

Got my question answered tonight about custom runs thru Diablo... white faced rather than black and the like. "10 like sets, minimum order, per run" was the answer. Understandable. I'll be shipping mine off to Diablo this Saturday.....I'll take before pics and show the returns when I get them.

edit- forgot to mention Diablo wants the needle stop pins removed prior to my shipping - just in case anyone else wants to send in something they/Diablo doesn't have
            Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2015, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Did you ever receive your gauge faces back from Diablo?

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

No, not yet...I sent them an email early December and thy weren't done then...time for another for an update...spring is a while yet but I'm getting a tad antsy.

Comment

Cool, guess what showed up today...new meter faces! Pics are marginal, but the '80 GS850G brown background is great.
                  suzi meters reface 001.jpg

Comment

Here's the '83 GS550L meter faces...were they dark grey new or black? These are dark grey...
                    suzi meters reface 002.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                      Cool, guess what showed up today...new meter faces! Pics are marginal, but the '80 GS850G brown background is great.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]44156[/ATTACH]
                      They look great. What method did they use? Is it a decal, or paint?

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                        They look great. What method did they use? Is it a decal, or paint?
                        Sticker, to be exact. One sands down the old faces with high grit to get them smooth and transparent, then you apply the new face sticker and trim out the odometer and/or fuel readouts.

Comment

Have you applied yours yet? How do you get the needles back on with the correct calibration? I have my faces off now and was thinking of repainting and then silk screening, but this looks so much easier.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

My '80 pod was a mess when I got the bike, with the inside gauge buckets having been already opened and the tach bucket was cracked from a fall - pod too on that side. I have another tach bucket but haven't gotten to taking that one apart.
                            The '83 "L" pod is easy since the tach and speedo have the glass attached to the pod case and the inside is open for access. I want to revamp the gear readouts on both to LED and replace the shot light blocking foam around the turn signal markers on the '83 pod. The needles need a touch up of hi vis orange on the tips and I'd like to get two newer needles - the ones that are metal, white colored and not use the current orange plastic ones {tach one is broken anyway}
                            The easy way for needle removal is to hike them carefully over the low stop pins and note where they come to rest....I marked that location on the outside of the old faces so when the new stickers go on they're still there...this will/should keep the calibration the same.{gas/tach/speedo}

Comment

As I said earlier, Im hoping someone with a well sheltered '82-'83 "L" chimes in about the gauge color being correct at dark grey...seems like they might have been black to me, but my "L" pod was heavily faded and the tach face was modded by the PO...pic should shows that the high end of the max RPM was messed with - like some one was trying to revamp it to a different bike with a much higher max......?

Comment

Working...
                              X