EVO Sportster dragbike .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVO Sportster dragbike .

ok it is true - I have bought a sportster- crashed and broken. ugly rashed - just like me... well she's going to be a part of a pretty race bike when I'm done...

Traded my last evo-buell cyclone off in 2008 - wouldn't mind having it back but you know the chances of that. Living here south of Milwaukee and knowing some of the guys that work at the Harley plant -gets me wondering why not give it a shot - drag racing parts are just as cheap/expensive as the GS stuff , never the less I will be photographing this build as we go and will be attending some AMRA races when it is complete. Hoping for next year but that depends on a few factors....

I like to make a request - for some trading? GS bikes or GS parts for Sportster bikes / evo engine parts / ?? I really need airtank extended swingarm and some extra engine cases.

Right now I am doing research for the recipe of the engine. I want to match everything for optimum bang for the buck .. I know I am going to use '91-99 cases , pinion gear, cams, 5 speed ... maybe 07 later head castings - or a set of un modified wash tubs - good heads big heads xr1000 type would be cool. Thunderstorm heads are a nice choice--- getting performance heads are not my problem-- nothing is a problem -I haven't finished building it on paper yet. head and pistons have to match for squish... -- ok moving on ... so we need a lightweight buell type crank , killer transmission and outputshaft... low center of gravity - easy to haul and load. Some classes have to be stock appearing and cannot have rear pegs - have to have lights and tank in appropriate places - fenders too.

This is just the Genesis of the build and the specific goals are not set - only the general goals - we want a Harley - we want to win. We Want to use AMERICAN PARTS! Go America!

MY DRAGBIKE Suzuki has more American Parts in and on it than any run of the mill Harley on the street right NOW!!!!! . what do you think about that?
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Take a look at Hammer Performance

Harley Davidson Twin Cam, Evo Big Twin, Sportster and Buell High Performance Parts and Services

I got an 01 Custom Sportster with Hammer port job on my old heads with 1.9 intake and 1.6 exhaust, 600 cams and 1250 jugs and pistons.

Dan say that's good for over 110 hp. They have 120 hp on a few of their 1250 builds too or go 88 CI ! Give them a call.

My only problem is all my parts are still in the box cause I bought this B King and a week later I dropped it on my leg and broke it. Maybe later on in the month I'll get it back together.

Last edited by RacingJake; 10-09-2015, 06:54 PM.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Hi racing Jake sorry about the leg, been there. I have heard very good things about hammer performance - they have a great website.

VERY nice head picture - is it the "smash" job done to a double plug from a "S" ? your recipe is a good one - now get the super light XB crank and crank up the compression!

bad news - went to pick up the "project" 02 XLH guess what the frame is bent - has a Yamaha forks with home made shims to hold in tubes (I dislike anything Yamaha ) early 80's XJ or XV front wheel no brakes no controls UGH! - cases broken, no tank, no handle bars, no kick stand --ONLY salvageable parts carb. heads and a trans and a crank - maybe? but I'm not paying $1500 for that pile - should have taken a picture. it does have a title

So I'm still looking .... Search remains the same....

Comment

Don't tell my Doc but I took the B King for a ride around the block today, it felt great.

Those heads are my old Screaming Eagle heads, same as the S model with dual plugs. Hammer did the Sledge port work on them and they look awesome. My old screaming chickens might just surprise a few BT's.

Yeah gotta watch out on those basket cases but sometimes you do get lucky.

Good luck on the hunt !
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

ice studded 883 r

I found the first of 4 or 5 that I will need to get a Harley racing machine program going. yes that may sound odd but the way I do things is not conventional.

12705766_468270243365258_6853007833711151589_n.jpg

now I am a Harley owner again. very happy to be slowing down -- LOL - not! I just like the way it sounds .. here is my flattracker - this one was built in the Harley factory racing division department - not bad living in the factory's back yard.

got a line on a crashed 02 -- and there is a rat raked stupid looking bike in Chicago that just might be ok with the long forks removed and an extended swinger. boy I need to sell some bikes - My garage is too full

not bad for a grand - eh?

Comment

Looks like shocks and wheels are worth a grand by themselves.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

heres my sportster street/strip bike
              hammer 1250,smash ported,600 cams
              went 11.0's last season with hurt motor
              had too much timing in it and scuffed pistons and cylinders
              all freshened up now,gotta break it in easy this time too!

yeah Dan Hammer is the man.
              Last edited by rifrafracing; 02-08-2016, 03:41 PM.

Comment

very - very nice dragbike there. wow!! hammer gets a lot out of their combinations. how much advance were you running ? gosh I'd hate to learn how far is too far on my own... I am reading and doing a lot of research so it seems what works for our GS machines will melt a sportster.

this one I got is a 4 speed and well,,, it does have problems - broken trans. I'm ok with that.. got it up on the lift today because I promised to return the ice studs no prob... I got lucky and did not pinch the tube when removing the rear tire - hooray! small miracles are nice. I'll be inspecting everything, there has to be more wear and tear.

Comment

when you run the 1250 pistons the compression is 10.5-1 and you need to pull 4-5 degrees from stock timing.
                  its a 1988 and originally had a 4 spd engine.I ran 06 1200 heads,v4 cams and 20hp nitrous,it ran mid 10's.
                  Last edited by rifrafracing; 02-08-2016, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Looks like shocks and wheels are worth a grand by themselves.
                    there is a lot of value for the price. I have never owned ohlins - happy for that -I wonder what is inside the forks. sometimes you get a chance and you have to take it - I am not drag racing this one but I will be experimenting - and using it as a pattern donor , and learn to flattrack ride.

Comment

Originally posted by rifrafracing View Post
                      when you run the 1250 pistons the compression is 10.5-1 and you need to pull 4-5 degrees from stock timing.
                      its a 1988 and originally had a 4 spd engine.I ran 06 1200 heads,v4 cams and 20hp nitrous,it ran mid 10's.
                      heck yeah I like it.
                      I can't stop looking at it.
                      Last edited by trippivot; 02-08-2016, 10:54 PM. Reason: had to add how excellent his bike looks

Comment

Tripp, Are you aware that there is a bike only race at Kaukauna sponsored by a Harley dealer on Sunday July 10th this year? They run a bunch of Harley classes and one all makes class. And a regular race on Saturday, we got them to start running a bike/sled class again and you can still run in the box or nobox classes also.
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

thanks for that - I am all set with the Suzuki, it is going to be as predictable as ever - just like last year I have plans to get up there. hopefully I will have a sporty that is competitive by that date- the only thing holding me back is coming to terms with selling my spare suzukis' for less than I have into them. lol

Comment

high gear busted off

http://,http://

http://

Comment

the 4 speeds are known to have brittle gears.
                              andrews stuff solves that.
                              mine had some shavings in it when I broke it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X