Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No start... New to wrenching on bikes. Help me troubleshoot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start... New to wrenching on bikes. Help me troubleshoot...

Ok so I've been looking around the site looking for help and.... Well frankly I think I am more confused than when I started...

So I start here. I have a 1983 GS550L just trucked it home and I cannot get it started.

First I took the advice of the seller that said all my GS would need is a new starter button/ run switch. It was replaced and still it will not turn over.

I've charged the battery and it sits with somewhere around 12.8 v. Iwas also told the battery was new.

I also replaced the starter solenoid.

I turn the key and the lights come on. I turn to run. I pull the clutch and press the button and BAM nothing... Not a click not a buzz nothing... Except that the headlight dims. Could it be the starter ?

Not sure where to start.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

If the headlight dims when you push the starter button, it is apparently trying to start.

Locate the starter solenoid. Not sure where it is on your bike (left side? right side?). Make sure the bike is in neutral, use an old screwdriver to bridge across the two large terminals on the top of the solenoid (the key does NOT have to be 'on'). Yes, there will be a small fireworks show as you make the connection, but it bridges the battery straight to the starter. If your battery is fully-charged, it should turn the starter. If the starter still has problems turning, it might need a rebuild. Kits are available from Stocker's Starters, but verify which starter you have before ordering a kit. Some starters have two brushes, others have four. The two kits are NOT interchangeable.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you. I've been running it through my head for a few days and I've thought about starter issues. Is there a way to test the starter without replacing or fixing it yet. jumping the starter solenoid does nothing now...

Comment

If jumping the solenoid does "nothing", you either have a dead battery or a dead starter, unless there is a broken ground wire between the engine case and the battery.

To rule out the battery, use jumper cables, connect the battery in your car (with the car NOT running) to the bike battery, repeat the 'bridge the solenoid' test. If you still get nothing, it's a dead starter.

If it's a dead starter, you will have to remove the tank and carbs to get the starter out, but it's not as intimidating as it might seem.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

FYI For reference, you might want a back up ignitor,
          -

look in to the cost of these bad boys, New they want an arm & leg for these.

I picked one up for my 86 GS 550L so if it goes out on the road, its plug it in and go. I don't know anything about the one listed above. I just saw it on ebay and I thought of you. this one is for the 83 to 86 gs 550's

Comment

Starter solenoid on a 86 GS 550L

20150909_064444.jpgLooks like this

Comment

Thanks whatparthurts but my solenoid does not really look like that. I have an '83 maybe an '82. Lol I better double check that

I Have been a little sick and the weather and work... So I have not gotten to do any further trouble shooting. I did order some choke cable thumb lever parts but they were the wrong ones.!lol I will keep everyone posted when I get to the bike. And thanks again for everyone's help.

Comment

If its dimming the lights try to short the terminals on top of the selenoid with a screw driver across the posts. If that doesnt make the starter crank, take off the starter cover and give it a few good solid taps with a haamer and retry the button. Starter motor itself may be stuck.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I had thee exact same issue on an 82 that I picked up a couple weeks ago. Ordered a starter rebuild kit online for $15 because my brushes in the old starter were pretty much destroyed and mostly were in the form of carbon dust. Rebuilt and it wants to turn over.... now to figure out why it's not starting.

Comment

Maybe its just me but if I have a MC that wont start I go to plan B and try to push start it. That dont help with the starter / solenoid issue but it gives me a light at the end of the tunnel as to the overall condition. That could also unstick a stuck starter motor.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Ok wow in this time that I've been looking for an answer. I have overlooked something very simple.... Rookie mistake. Remember to always check the wires too. Not just connections and components. So I found that one wire in my wiring harness is broken. So I had to put in 1 new wire.

Once I replaced it I am looking at a bike that fires up EVERY time. I am so excited. Thank you for all your help guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X