• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bat wing on a Gs?

Has anyone used it?
    Is it protective and above all quiet?

Thanks
    GS1000G '81

Going to have to guess here. Is your version of "bat wing" a handlebar-mounted windshied?

Yes, many of us have windshields, and in all different sizes and shapes. Click on the link in my signature for my wife's 850L, you will see a National Cycle Plexifairing 3. It's not quite what I think of as a "bat wing", but the general concept is the same.

Protective? Yes. Almost as good as the full fairing on my Wing. The main difference is the amount of protection on the lower leg.

Quiet? That depends on your bike. Many have found that the shape and angle of the windshield will remove a lot of the wind noise, but will reflect engine noise back to you.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Batwing, the Electra Glide one.
      Not bothered by engine noise, but turbulence.
      Having ridden for twelve hundred km around the clock, I felt all the inadequacies of my little screen and gear, particularly gloves, which, are otherwise ok, on the odd 400km run.
      I can tell you that, after the fourth or fifth hour, the eddies and the cold, become a problem.
      Of course, I know I could get thicker gloves, central heating and taller/ wider screen, but I thought the batwing coult about cut it.
      GS1000G '81

Comment

I think the only thing those fairing look good on are cruisers, and by that, I mean the long, low sleds produced these days in the image of HD.
        Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 11-06-2015, 12:27 AM.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

It's either that or the full size Splitstream.
          I would not be that concerned about the looks, if they deliver.
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Why not a Rifle Sport?
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Just checked, screen is ok, fairing is to narrow, I am looking for full protection.
              Anyone uses the Slipstreamer?
              Last edited by Lorenzo; 11-06-2015, 04:37 PM.
              GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post
                Just checked, screen is ok, fairing is to narrow, I am looking for full protection.
                Anyone uses the Splitstream?
                I have an SS-28 on my 650E. It's a medium sized fairing with the full size shape. Keeps the wind off your hands.
                Very rigid due to its complex shape. Nice smoke color.
                Drawbacks, it's not very tall. In fact when I got it, the po had bolted a clear plexiglass riser to the top of the shield. They added a 6" strip across the top edge.
                The angle of installation, the bike and rider height will all change the experience per setup. I am 6'2....if I dip down 2 inches I am in a perfect vaccuum. No wind, no turbulence. No wind noise (engine noise does reflect up) I'm a bit tall for the setup but like it alot.

Comment

Look at the Indiana rally pictures from 2014 and you will see my black 650 with it on.

Comment

Consider a Plexifairing. A lot better looking on a GS & great protection.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                      I have an SS-28 on my 650E. It's a medium sized fairing with the full size shape. Keeps the wind off your hands.
                      It looks mean, and the width is about right for my 72cm / 28" bars, but as you said, I am afraid it is on the low side;

They produce the S05 turbo also, which is 19" height by a sizeable 32"width

s05.jpg

Plexifairing 3 is very nice too.
                      Last edited by Lorenzo; 11-06-2015, 06:21 PM.
                      GS1000G '81

Comment

What must me ascertained first though, is, provided that the S05 turbo, is mounted about eyes height, what happens in case of heavy rain -I've had experiences with a scooter, on which I had to stick the helmet out, on the side, to see what was ahead of me...-
                        Second how the inevitable scratches and fading, would impact on the perception of oncoming traffic, expecially when travelling against the sun, or at nightime, with other vehicles light creating a star fx ??

Thanks
                        GS1000G '81

Comment

Well, I seem set on "taking matters on me hands" yet again...

My question to you is: would you keep the standard turn signal or make some aero one-offs to go on the fairing?

Leaving the originals, you have to either make a round hole, so them can fit, or live the final part, towards the rear bottom, with an opening, so that when you slide the fairing in, the tsignals just clear the shape.

Both options, unsatisfactory, from the building perspective.

Thanks

P.S.
                          Oh yeah, it seems to flow reasonably well...
                          Last edited by Lorenzo; 01-16-2016, 06:53 AM.
                          GS1000G '81

Comment

Slowly getting there...

GS1000G '81

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X