No announcement yet.

Bat wing on a Gs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build in the turn signals for sure. Super cool project. Keep going...
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Can`t wait to see the finished product. It`s looking really cool.

Mike
      sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
      1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

mildly windjammeresc, but yet not as painful on your eyes

Comment

Gotta be not as painfully icy on your (mine) fingers, like winter wind on the gloves, myself being not a fun of heated wathever;
          frankly I prefer the look and aerodynamics of the naked bike.
          Comments and critics are accepted even the most unflattering, and, I hereby announce that to this "mark 1" proto, will follow a "four season extravaganza"
          Last edited by Lorenzo; 02-15-2016, 08:40 AM.
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Yeah, i gotta agree there. Naked bikes look the best and cold hands suck in the winter

Comment

That looks interesting.
              A tip - avoid the temptation to hang anything onto the windshield; keep the weight as low as you can. I had a couple of spotlights on mine and it went into a nasty wobble 90mph one time when the steering bearings started to get worn. For the previous 20 years I had only one smaller and lighter spotlight on it and never had a problem.
              Frankly, when I see some of the Vetter Roosters and other Batwing shields with all the kit and paraphenalia hanging of the inside of them, I reckon the only reason they don't spit their riders off is the lazy geometry of the cruiser - that, and the owners' and bikes' inability to exceed 80mph.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

When i was a kid, (i think it was '73 or '74) we had a neighbor who had a '70 cb750 with a bar mounted Wixom fairing on it. Had a nasty crosswind blow him into a ditch. He lived thru it, quit riding soon after though....
                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I do not pessimistically expect of driving the bike with it fitted, above 3000rpm
                  The latest knowledge, in aerodynamics applied to cockpits of sort, calls for air ports or even a screen separated from the body of the w.shield to improve the dynamic behavior and balance the pressure in the helmet area.
                  Just take a look at the beemers or at the new Africa Twin.

The idea for the inside, would be to leave it plain for the first experiment, than it could have a panel with all the clocks and dials embedded.

A world of advice, if you want to "practice" with GRP, do not use the polyester resin but the epoxy one. The former is going to permeate the ambient you work in, you clothes and your persona, with it's somewhat unpleasant and defiant smell.
                  Last edited by Lorenzo; 03-05-2016, 03:55 AM.
                  GS1000G '81

Comment

When I saw the thread title, I thought you meant something like this
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I had a bat wing fairing on my 1970 Honda CB750 and loved it. I never had any wobbles at speed, but I rarely ventured into triple digits. I like Winjammers also, but I think frame mounted fairings just make more sense on shaft drive bikes. I have them on both of my 850s.

When I got my 1100E I looked for a bat wing but they don't seem to make them aftermarket for UJMs anymore. The Plexifairing 3 was the closest I could come, and it has worked well. It is essentially a one piece bat wing.

If you want to cover your legs you pretty much have to go with a frame mounted fairing that is either full coverage or can be fitted with lowers.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Yes! BosoZoku!

Comment

I picked up an Electraglide outer fairing at a swap meet for $25 and took it home to test fit on a GL1200 standard(gold wing with no fairing and bags, naked). Used duct tape to kind of hold it on there while I walked around looking at it from all different angles. Actually I liked the looks. I have the same fairing on my 10 Electraglide Ltd and I can tell you from personal experience it shields you from the wind and rain pretty good. Now they do make attachments for them to cut down on the wind coming up from the bottom and causing turbulence and I have them installed. When I open them and am riding with my half helmet I get buffeting so I just leave them closed. Actually my 10 Ultra is more comfortable than my 01 GL1800 ever was partly because of that fairing. As long as your handlebars keep your hands inside the fairing, I'm sure any full size fairing will do a good job of keeping your hands out of the wind. But I have to say the heated grips on my Ultra are what keeps my hands warm. You might consider some aftermarket heated grips. Worth every penny.

Comment

Jdvorchak thanks for the input;
                            The E.G. fairing was a snatch at 25 bucks, I would have taken it, if not, to have something to build on, more practical then cardboard.
                            About the heated grips, I give them credit, but I just cannot convert to them.
                            Last edited by Lorenzo; 03-10-2016, 04:16 AM.
                            GS1000G '81

Comment

this is the first bike I've owned with heated grips. I will never own another without them. What I found is that they heat your whole hand by heating the inside of the gloves. Whole hand is warm not just the palms. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

The dilemma is: if them gloves let heat in, are they letting cold air as well perhaps?

If the heated grips should fail in the middle of a trip with sub-confortable outside temps, miles from the destination, how would one cope with the transition from hot to cold (is gotta arguably be a huge morale sapper).

I know this might seem paradoxycal but, it is actually, what' s keeping me away from them.

Just wanna make it clear, I am not doubting them work.
                                Last edited by Lorenzo; 03-11-2016, 06:05 AM.
                                GS1000G '81

Comment

Working...
                                X