No announcement yet.

Bat wing on a Gs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything fails sooner or later. If your decision not to buy something because it might fail, then what do you buy? I like my heated grips and if they fail I'll slip my glove liners on and ride.

The gloves heat through convection not warm air coming in. If the gloves are good no cold air comes in.

Just sayin'

Comment

If it fails you reach down and warm your hands on the cylinder head like everyone always used to do.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

a couple of these,in your saddlebags, if your electric ones should fail..Handy to offer a passenger too.
        They are all I use,(in my non-severe climate) but are kind of pricey.

Comment

Yes, yes but this thread is about a windshield, maybe someone wants to start one about warming devices

Maybe you want to read the.last line of my prevoius comment.

So nothing wrong with using any device someone see fit to protect themselves, and nothing wrong (I hope) with looking for something alternative
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post
            Yes, yes but this thread is about a windshield, maybe someone wants to start one about warming devices

Maybe you want to read the.last line of my prevoius comment.

So nothing wrong with using any device someone see fit to protect themselves, and nothing wrong (I hope) with looking for something alternative
            Whether you have heated grips or gloves or a bonfire on your bars is neither here nor there, as long as the windshield / fairing is doing its job of keeping the cold blast off your hands. The distances that can be travelled multiply vastly with proper hand protection, even with no heating.
            Saying that - I will always fit bar or grip heaters anyway, just because I like a bit of comfort. One important thing to remember - if you're in pain, you're distracted.
            Last edited by Grimly; 03-12-2016, 02:24 PM.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

that's the little fella, so far.

I think I'm gonna carve the central part, with an upside down squared U shape, whose vertical borders are in relief with, respect to the central part, which is going to be inlayd, and with some sort of mesh on the base of the U wich is going tlo let just that much air inside, hopefully deadening vortices.
              Last edited by Lorenzo; 03-19-2016, 04:33 AM.
              GS1000G '81

Comment

like this

image10.jpg
                GS1000G '81

Comment

Slotted in...

GS1000G '81

Comment

From the side

GS1000G '81

Comment

Surprisingly quiet, on the road, with virtually non existing wind blast on the hands.

Just need to make the screen a tad less steep.

DSC_0130.jpg
                      Last edited by Lorenzo; 03-17-2016, 06:02 AM.
                      GS1000G '81

Comment

Sooner, the development, is bound to slow down, until a method for a fitting enabling to change the incidence of the screen to the rest of the fairing; in should ideally be done on the kerbside, with no tools and possibly leaving a small gap where they meet;

if anyone can contribute with a pic or better a simple drawing, will be much appreciated.

Thanks
                        GS1000G '81

Comment

This old thread, one of many by steveinpa describing his windshield mods on the cx500 forum, may be of interest to you.

1979 GS1000
                          1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Thanks DaveR

Very neat and simple solution slotting the screen to vary the height;
                            I was more convolutely, thinking of having, say three different screens for varying the height, but this implementation is clever.

The other thing I was thinking to, was how to make it more or less inclined to the vertical, with maybe a swivelling hinge; but we'll see.

A possible fault that came to my mind, watching the thread is: the outside of the headlight I made is tight fitting and round, in a way that restricts the cone of the projected light. A flared outer surround will improve on this but will dictate the shape of the headlight cover, which I was thinking of making a rounded ogival one (almost like a fishbowl), instead this will have (if any) to be flat.

Mmh...
                            Last edited by Lorenzo; 03-19-2016, 06:56 AM.
                            GS1000G '81

Comment

Very neat. I admire your skills. I like that it gives touring bike protection but can be removed without rewiring. It appears to offer much better hand protection than any of the windshields/fairings currently available, OEM or aftermarket.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I love custom stuff!! Following, keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                                X