[boris.h]79 GS 550 / 673cc project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

started it once more today.

so.. it started well, with new gas it was so easy....
    Idling only
    - no bad noise at all
    - still white / grey smoke at the exhaust...
    - got the spark plug, still black and wet... I found it less wet than before but I let the bike idling only 5 minutes, just to get it warm. So now EVERYTHING is brand new on this engine, even the valves guides..

I have now to run it without disassemble it every day. Maybe there is still a lot of oil inside the exhaust system, I don't know...

have to run it now

Comment

Hi all.
      I can say now why I was leaking.... a lot of oil....

Note that I raised a bit the hole with a little knife. the first hole was smaller, much much smaller...

Now, I am machining a little part which will go just under the spring and the base of the spring.....
      I will work on it and take my time to order brand new boots, those which I have are dead...

I started this project one year ago....

Comment

Ok, some news even if this is almost dead here.... the last news:
        - machined some part to plug the hole in the head
        - new plugs
        - new carb boots
        And a new stator because the old stator died.....

Some pics here:

Comment

Nice, fairing works well on a 550. *takes note*

Which stator did you get?
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Apparently this is common when doing porting? From what I have read anyways. I have seen threads where it has been mentioned and the cure was an epoxy to bond the lower spring seat into place and the epoxy was used as a filler after.

Maybe ask RapidRay about it?

Looking good though other than that!

Cheers,
            Daryl

Edit, look at post #16 http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-chassis/page2

Originally posted by boris.h View Post
            Hi all.
            I can say now why I was leaking.... a lot of oil....

Note that I raised a bit the hole with a little knife. the first hole was smaller, much much smaller...

Now, I am machining a little part which will go just under the spring and the base of the spring.....
            I will work on it and take my time to order brand new boots, those which I have are dead...

I started this project one year ago....
            Last edited by Fjbj40; 02-06-2017, 11:51 AM.
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

arf I machined a aluminium part, which I fitted while freezing it into the head, with some more loctite sealant. Anyway, the head still leaks a little today, after starting the bike, when cold, but the "leak" (there is no apparent leak neither any smoke but the plug is a bit wet and dark) disapears when hot. The bike runs great.

I do not like using loctite glue, because you need at this place glue that can resist to high temperatures, and, at this place you do not have a lot of material so glue could not "grip" to the head. So that's why I machined a part that came under the spring

thanks for the fairing, it shapes nice to the bike and, I can remove it quickly thanks to the 3D printed parts I made

Comment

little update about my bike... gone to 162.5 - 165 - 165 - 162.5, the bike is pulling hard until the end, like an opera singer... I can not imagine the same with bigger pistons... I think, with velocity stacks, a big open exhaust and ported head... it could go above the 80 hp....

Comment

Hi all
                  Long time I did not make any post, because of its poor interest...
                  OT,
                  Ended with 165 - 167.5 - 167.5 - 165 and the bike runs great. I am a bit lean between idling and WOT, I am on the top notch so maybe I would have to go up with mains with one size and going one notch down.... but it runs great now, idle to 1100 rpm, going great even at high altitude... as attached a picture at the Mont Ventoux, south of France, a famous place where Tom Simpson died during the tour de France 1967...

see you!

Comment

Sounds like a really great bike to ride. Your efforts are being rewarded.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

yes, for sure!
                      The next update will be an oil cooler, because of high temperatures in south of france, and the final header I am planning to do by myself

Comment

Comment

Just read all this great build I'm just starting to get parts together for 673 swap

Comment

thanks a lot, do not hesitate if you have further questions about this swap, this is working great, for more that 1.5 year. I drove it something like 3000km since the job started.
                            Keep in mind that you have to get a nice working exhaust (I calculated all the tubes diameters and a 600 bandit exhaust fitted with some modifications), a nice working intake (as you can see, velocity stacks with a grid in front of them works well), here also, the length and the diameter of these stacks is important.

Also, if you get a look on the performance section, there is a thread on performance pistons for this specific swap... if you want to get them, I should advise you to start this BS 34 carbs instead of BS32 ones.

Nevertheless, this swap with 650 standard pistons, if mixture is well adjusted, can give a lot of HP, around 75 hp for my engine, also because the head is fully ported, squish is adjusted to the minimal specifications, etc etc..

If you love mechanic, go with it!

Comment

Working...
                            X