No announcement yet.

[boris.h]79 GS 550 / 673cc project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambitious project! When most guys want more power they just get a bigger bike! I like the way you are doing this, it's gonna be a very fun bike to ride when it's all together!

Comment

Yep, thanks! I like this way to do also. Bigger bikes do not interest me. At every time, every project, I can not stand "just re-manufacture" something without re-engineering it.. Every project is seen as a challenge...
      I also have a clio 16v (same as old clios williams - jean ragnotti), with a full engineered and builded motor, gearbox, transmission, by myself --> 200hp / 210nm / 975 Kg....

Moreover, power is more "contained" for me, doing this project (aim 70hp), it just will "contain me"

Comment

Hey!
        Doing a first assembling, "just to see"

That's looking nice! No step, from thetrumpet to the valve!!!

Comment

Yes, very good looking stacks! Made of rubber too.
          Looks like they're gonna touch the frame, maybe have to wrap around it.
          No air filters?
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Those stacks look very much like the ones inside of the (shelved) airbox from my 1150. Note the groove that would hold them in the air box opening.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

ok, please do not refer, for rubber staks, as it is shown on the picture. These are suzuki gsxr K2 (2002) airbox stacks. They have no grid so no filter at all. Considering I'm using it on the road, I need at least a grid.
              I think I'll just make them using 3D print, or real aluminium ones. I think they will be a bit smaller, because gsxr stacks are too long and they're going to hit the frame. They are 10mm too long

Comment

Now, I have to
                - find velocity stacks with grid
                - finish to port the head, lot of work on the second combustion chamber
                - assemble the carbs
                - get the pistons and the bottom end.
                - final assembly....

Then, on the bike
                - I've found a gs 1000 s bubble (head fork) that I need to re-paint
                - change the stainless steel rear brake line
                - and... I think that's all for this year, just running... I hope

Comment

The 673 engine produces 74 horsepower. 70Hp after mods would be considered a failure in my opinion.

As for the "buy a bigger bike" guys out there, there's almost no easier or cheaper way to gain almost 30 hp on any GS model than to do this swap. It will make for a very fast motorcycle if you do it correctly. Ask crazypj how fast a modded 550 can go. They are light and they don't push much wind.

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
                    The 673 engine produces 74 horsepower. 70Hp after mods would be considered a failure in my opinion.

As for the "buy a bigger bike" guys out there, there's almost no easier or cheaper way to gain almost 30 hp on any GS model than to do this swap. It will make for a very fast motorcycle if you do it correctly. Ask crazypj how fast a modded 550 can go. They are light and they don't push much wind.
                    I'm with you. If I wanted to ride a big fat heavy pig I'd
                    roll the 1000E out and ride it. I rarely do, it bores me.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by boris.h View Post
                      ok, please do not refer, for rubber staks, as it is shown on the picture. These are suzuki gsxr K2 (2002) airbox stacks. They have no grid so no filter at all. Considering I'm using it on the road, I need at least a grid.
                      I think I'll just make them using 3D print, or real aluminium ones. I think they will be a bit smaller, because gsxr stacks are too long and they're going to hit the frame. They are 10mm too long
                      So what you are saying is that you would like some screens that disrupt the airflow into your velocity stacks? Sorry but it's real tough to get behind that idea. I know the kids think it looks cool but that will be a good start in your quest for less hp.

Never once has a manufacturer released a bike with no air filters on the engine.

Without a measured volume of still and balanced air on tap, those velocity operated carburetors will never perform at peak levels.

Please don't take these comments personally, just some facts.
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2016, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02
                        He's using VM carburetors.
                        I don't see any VM's hooked to that head. Regardless, velocity stacks are a bad idea unless you are a drag racer. And screens on velocity stacks is counterproductive. But I digress, and I will sit back and watch for a while.

Best of luck and most of all have fun. Here's to the Hybrid Club!!

Comment

Whoops, Wrong thread.

Comment

He did originally say he was going to go with vm26's but i think soon realized the nightmare it would have turned out to be. Pretty sure I saw a set of bs32ss somewhere in this thread too, and that's what I would use

Comment

That's what I'm using on mine too.

Comment

Hey guy's!
                                Just to answer for all, that carbs, on the pictures above are BS32 CARBS, from a gs 850!!! BS34 looked too big for me (I know that I need air velocity toget the fuel in...), and the BS32 are plugged to the head using machined parts, to have 32mm diameter in the continuity of the carbs. The head is machined to have 32mm diameter ports, then they finish, for intake, to 31.5mm valves.
                                For exhaust, I decided to keep the 28mm valves for costs reasons (and I calculated that these valves are ok until 10500 / 11000 rpm..), but the head is ported to finish at 33mm diameter, just for the continuity with the exhaust: a 650 gsxr one, stainless steel, almost "plug and play", very light one. I'll make some modifications on that one to be able to plug lambda sensors for the carbs settings, and a yoshimura exhaust end....

About velocity stacks, I'll for sure put grids or air filters!!!
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2016, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X