Powerbuilt Spark Plug Back-Tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerbuilt Spark Plug Back-Tap

This is a nifty tool called a 'back tap' that you can use to re-thread damaged spark plug holes-- and not worry about metal chips getting into the engine. Basically, you stick the tool into the spark plug hole, and as you tighten a knurled nut, the tap expands to fill the plug threads. You then 'unscrew' the tap back out of the hole. A little grease on the tap catches any chips. You tighten the nut a little more each time for several passes, gradually expanding the tap to the full size of the hole. I bought mine off of Amazon; it is made is the USA, and is a good quality tool http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00.

My #4 plug was not sealing and causing low compression, so I gave this a try before resorting to a helicoil insert or replacing the head. It worked like a charm. It is more expensive than a regular 14mm x 1.25 tap, but you don't have to worry about vacuuming chips out of the engine, etc. To me it was worth extra cost.
    Regards,
    Jason

Thanks for the link - I will surely need this for one of my project bikes one day.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Good idea and thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I've seen these before. Thanks for mentioning them!

Honestly, the price is very reasonable and a lot lower than I recall from the last time these entered my forebrain -- only $23.74 on Amazon.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

At that price it's worth gettting one for the day you'd eventually need it. Anyway, tool purchases need no justification
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

There are at least a few reviews indicating the tool broke while using, creating a bigger problem. It sounds like a good idea, but I'll stick with my plug chaser tool for now if and when needed. I use grease and a shop vac with a smaller hose to retrieve any swarf.

Comment

I think as long as you have some 'mechanics feel' and don't rush it, the tool will work fine. Yes, thread chasers would certainly stand more abuse. There is always a trade-off I suppose!
              Regards,
              Jason

Comment

I agree, if you have to "feel" as you put it and work it gently and let the tool slowly work the threads and gunk it would work just fine. How many knuckleheads out there are just cranking it out thinking it's some heavy cutter? Who knows. That or it really is a chunk of junk....looks like it would work fine.
                I've been blessed with good plug holes so far.

Comment

Working...
                X