Heated grips or gloves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
    So you're saying I might be better advised to just replace my stock handlebar then? Less grief.
    As I found eventually, you can get the inserts out easily enough with the right approach, meaning you have less overall disruption once accomplished. The presence of the Polly heaters will provide some degree of bar weighting, but probably not to the same extent as the original inserts+weight.
    Otoh, I had to drill holes in the bars for the heater feeds and I'd done that before fitting them. Depending on access on the bike, but you might find it easier to remove the bars anyway, in order to drill the holes.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Dave, I'll be ordering my Polly heaters soon, where do you recommend drilling the holes? I'm mounting these inside my 850G's stock bars.

Although it will be a little more work to "fish" the wires through, I'm thinking of drilling near the center/bottom so the wires can be hidden by the plastic trim piece.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

The bars I'm replacing that had served me well for 20+ years, actually came off a small bike - something like a Honda 185, and they have a slot in the centre underneath, between the posts, which was perfect for the heater wires. The original bars were drilled by me for these same heaters, and I'd put the holes just below the top bend, facing each other.
        On this pic, you can see where I've put them on the ST bars

Actually, if I were re-doing these, I'd drop the hole position by about an inch or more, to get it well away from the bend. As they are, they'll do - these bars are tough stuff and it will take a lot to bend them. I'd thought of putting the hole(s) in the centre underneath, but cba with the filing and slotting needed. This way, there's a minimum of fishing through required.
        ---- Dave
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Perfect, thanks Dave!
          2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Dave is that a Yamaha Master cylinder I see there???
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              Dave is that a Yamaha Master cylinder I see there???
              Certainly is; XJ900 m/c. Bought a pair of NOS back when, for peanuts. The leverage angles worked out better for me than stock GS m/c, with slightly better feel. My choice of more modern m/c for these is from the Deauville 16mm, with span-adjustable lever.
              ---- Dave

Comment

Just wondering how the volume of the bars would compare to a header tank on a liquid cooled machine ?
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                  Certainly is; XJ900 m/c. Bought a pair of NOS back when, for peanuts. The leverage angles worked out better for me than stock GS m/c, with slightly better feel. My choice of more modern m/c for these is from the Deauville 16mm, with span-adjustable lever.
                  Great to know! Thanks for the heads up!!!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    Just wondering how the volume of the bars would compare to a header tank on a liquid cooled machine ?
                    Heating the bars with coolant, you mean? Bloke with a Cx500 tried it 20 years ago - it worked ok, but I never heard of its long-term success. Fine control would be a bit of a problem, I would think.
                    ---- Dave

Comment

Interesting idea - my v45 Magna is liquid cooled and the coolant actually flows through part of the frame that is removed to replace the engine. Kind of a pain, actually.

I've toyed with the idea of somehow using heat from the exhaust to somehow heat something too, but haven't gotten beyond thinking about it being possible but not likely feasible.

I ordered my Polly heaters on Amazon, they should be here mid-next week and if the snow doesn't fly, I'll be trying them out although my battery is toast, my Polaris R/R is putting out 14.5 volts so as long as I can push start the bike I should get some nice heat.

A new AGM battery is on my winter shopping list as well.

Comment

I never see it mentioned, but there is another alternative. I hate the restriction of gloves, especially the heavier ones. As a youngster I rode a lot of cold weather, down into the 20's and 30's. I used snowmobile mittens. They were far superior to gloves and my fingers were free feeling, far more comfy. My nephew is currently riding anytime the sun is working at all, and he loves his electric gloves. I tried them on the other day and did not like them. The hands feel bound up. It would cost 20 bucks to try a good set of mittens.

Comment

I took a heating core from an old MG awhile back, worked it into the cooling circuit on a water cooled engine (mounted between the handlebars), then ran ducts and a 12V fan behind it to force the warm air into the ducts.....it kinda requires ya have a fairing of sorts.....I did it on a batwing....

[PHP]A new AGM battery is on my winter shopping list as well. [/PHP]

...you'll never go back !!!!....its the way to go....

Comment

heated seat!

Comment

Working...
                            X